Board Logo

secondary bonnet restraint (rope, belt, pins) for racing
Camo - May 9th, 2013 at 07:00 PM

Hi all,

just curious and not saying that I am going to race my car, but how would I keep my bonnet down when I have a removed handle (shaved) and there is no way I want to mark my paint.

Could you get away with 1000 mile an hour tape ???

Thought this may also help others.

Kev

ian.mezz - May 9th, 2013 at 07:50 PM

I seen one where they tied a belt to the catch on the inside of the bonnet and fed the belt out the hole under the spare wheel and tied it to the bumper

BiX - May 9th, 2013 at 08:40 PM

Rope or wire with a clip on the inside is one option with enough slack to open the bonnet and undo it.. Last time I checked as the beetle has two catches, on a super anyway, you don't need a secondary restraint.

1303Steve - May 9th, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Hi Kev

You can use a leather belt though the handle and around the bumper bar, on Daves bug and his skyline I use dog chain and a novelty bottle shop carabena

Steve

colin - May 10th, 2013 at 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BiX
Rope or wire with a clip on the inside is one option with enough slack to open the bonnet and undo it.. Last time I checked as the beetle has two catches, on a super anyway, you don't need a secondary restraint.

Not sure what you can do however,
when competing in a Cams event you must have a secondary bonnet restaint and a Superbug standard latch is not acceptable.
I use short slide strap arond the latch handle and through a muffler clamp i have bolted to the inside of my bumper.

Cheers Col