Board Logo

Ever wondered if you need a HANS device ?
Sides - May 20th, 2013 at 02:04 PM

(HANS == Head And Neck Support).

I'd been planning to replace my helmet the end of this season, and had been thinking on and off about going with a HANS device at the same time.

Following talking with GT at Bathurst who runs a HANS, plus a guy I know through hillclimb recently having a big off at Lakeside in the wetwhere the HANS basically saved his life... well I decided to fall back on the "don't scrimp on safety" mantra and do it now rather than delay.

I ran with the HANS for the first time this weekend - takes slightly longer to gear up before a run, and while noticeable it's not uncomfortable or restrictive when driving.

Fair to say I'm much happier now that I've got one, as is the gf and fam. $$$ wise cost me less than a set of new track tyres.

It was probably the in car from Scott's crash that tipped my decision. I found it pretty chilling to watch, esp since I've done Lakeside at not too different speeds in similar conditions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BBWvUvVgWVA 

cnfabo - May 20th, 2013 at 02:48 PM

wholly shit that was intense to watch sides. i loved watching that little yaris fang around.funny thing was i was just looking at hans devices on demon tweeks before i read your thread....

good move to get one dave....

Guy_H - May 20th, 2013 at 04:10 PM

Yep good lesson there. With 3 inch harnesses - your neck becomes the flexible (Weak) part

Sides - May 21st, 2013 at 01:45 PM

Yup - definitely Guy.

A lot of places with deals on HANS gear at the moment too...

whathaveidone - May 21st, 2013 at 04:31 PM

FARRRK!!!!!!! Was that guy alright!!!!!!

Sides - May 21st, 2013 at 06:02 PM

Will be eventually Ben - yeah.

Couple of broken vertebrae, few weeks in hospital, and now a long recovery ahead... but am sure will see Scott back on the track again.

The Yaris tho is definitely RIP.

matberry - May 21st, 2013 at 07:06 PM

Wow, seemed to be nicely in control and......BAM.

Bet he's glad he had Hans device. Good move Dave

HappyDaze - May 21st, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Watched that clip......guess what I grabbed for next Saturday at W.Park :?:

I borrowed my son's HANS. Would that be HANS free :?: