Board Logo

Leyburn Sprints 2013
Sides - June 18th, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Supp regs and Entry Forms for this years Leyburn Sprints have recently gone up on their website... http://leyburnmotorsprints.com.au/downloads.html 

It's held on 17-18 August, and you need to get your forms in by 17th July.

Never heard of Leyburn Sprints ??? Well fair to say it's my favorite event of the year, and the Qld Weekender TV show did a spot on it a year or two back. (skip forward to around the 12:45 minute mark)

I'll be entering with Jezebel, plus my mate Noel in his new track-toy Beetle as well the VW Drivers Club's "Drag Fasty" in it's ever-evolving roundy-roundy guise.

Anyone else keen to have a crack ???

speedster356 - June 18th, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Did this sprint weekend a few years ago in the Spyder, great fun.

bat69 - June 18th, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Hey Pete. Good to see your still around. When will we see you back out on the track in the speedster

colin - June 18th, 2013 at 05:21 PM

Can,t make it this year, but with my plans for next year Leyburn is definitely on the to do list.

Good luck Sides.

Cheers Col

speedster356 - June 18th, 2013 at 08:50 PM

It was very confusing for the announcer when I was at Leyburn. He had Peter McLeod, past Bathurst winner driving but hell he had lost some skills over the years. Classic. Yeah been some time :-) Both the Spyder and the Speedster are going back to their birth place of NZ this year. Been doing the Ironman thing for the past 5 or so years. Cheers

lou0060 - June 21st, 2013 at 08:27 PM

planning to be there this year. Finally have my turbos sorted so really looking forward to it and also a run at Mt Cotton in July.

BrisDubba - June 23rd, 2013 at 07:52 AM

Herb will be there, though he hasn't ran since last years event...

We will catch up closer and aim at getting the cars together this year

Pete

Sides - June 23rd, 2013 at 09:03 AM

Sounds like might be up to five volksys's running this year then... awesome !!!

:D

lou0060 - June 23rd, 2013 at 10:50 AM

need to make sure we all pit together, that will make for an awesome sight amougst all the other brands.

STIDUB - June 23rd, 2013 at 06:22 PM

I'm keen for the fasty :D loading it up on thurs arvo for noosa :D

STIDUB - July 31st, 2013 at 09:44 AM

Pete, didn't see your beetle on the entry list...

Sides - July 31st, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Entry list shows 6 VW's running...
- me with Jezebel
- Noel and his red 76
- Ian & Dave O sharing the Drag Fasty
- Craig in the VWMA FVee
- Tom in his special/shooting buggy
- and an Ian Gray in another Vee.

Should be a top weekend !!!

:)

BrisDubba - August 15th, 2013 at 09:56 PM

I busted my shoulder at crossfit, and as it turns out has just gotten worse. It was a toss of the coin as to whether it would be ok - but it isn't so Herb can sit in the shed.

Hopefully I will pop up on Saturday for a look

Have a great weekend

vassy66T1 - August 18th, 2013 at 06:17 PM

Beautiful day out there today and a nice representation from the VW's

Ian driving well in the VWDCQ fasty
Noel going well in the maroon beetle
A buggy driven by Tom Hackett
Sides, driving his beetle really well and car sounding strong

Great day, absolutely loved it.

1303Steve - August 18th, 2013 at 08:03 PM

this is on my bucket list

VWMA Editor - August 19th, 2013 at 01:41 PM

That was my first time competing at Leyburn and I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. The Volkswagen Driver's Club of Qld are to be congratulated for having 4 club member's cars competing and a healthy band of supporters over both days.

For me personally, I raced my Fvee 1600 in CAMS logbooked configuration and finished with a best time of 55.645 and 56th outright from a field of 192. I still have much to learn (very narrow track - ran out of bitumen twice), but the weekend is a well run, grass roots motorsport event.

vassy66T1 - August 19th, 2013 at 05:10 PM

You drove well Craig

My apologies for forgetting the Vees when I arrived home last night :blush:

STIDUB - August 20th, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Hey Craig, don't forget the plugs from the magic tiguan boot of yep got some of those ;)
If the leyburn site decides to load for me I'm keen to see what decent tyres & sway bars managed to do as far as timing goes :D
Stock type3 running 10sec behind a vee & worked beetle... I'm pretty happy :D

lou0060 - August 20th, 2013 at 07:01 PM

have got it in my diary for next year and have warned all family members about it for 2014! good to see you all had a great weekend and managed to get everything back in one piece.

Sides - August 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Was an awesome weekend - and I was pretty happy to lower my PB by 1.3 seconds to a 55.9.

Unfortunately results not out yet, so not 100% sure of my place in class... I think 7th or 8th out of 14, with the top 9 or 10 cars all within 2 seconds of the lead.

Was great having so much Volksy company - both spectating and competing - with all having a nice clean weekend's racing... bring on next year !!!

:D

hypo-vw - August 22nd, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Awesome footage Dave , your car sounds really sweet . Looks like you guys had a ton of fun , maybe a good sprint circuit to take DTTF on next year . Well done mate

Craig Torrens - August 23rd, 2013 at 09:21 AM

Car sounds great Dave :tu:

VWMA Editor - August 23rd, 2013 at 11:29 AM

VWMA will have full coverage of the VW exploits at Leyburn in the November issue with photos provided by http://www.ausmotophoto.com.au 

STIDUB - August 23rd, 2013 at 02:48 PM

If people pics are needed I'm sure we can come up with something amongst the club :)

colin - August 25th, 2013 at 07:11 PM

Really good footage and driving Dave.

Got that event pencilled in for next year.

Cheers Col

cnfabo - August 25th, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I'm loving your vids sides,thanks for that...do you have any noosa in car footage.

Sides - August 26th, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Thanks for comments guys.

I've spotted a few areas to try and improve on for next year, but yeah - pretty happy still and was a great weekend all round.

:)

Chris - have got incar from Noosa no probs, but can't get to youtube from here (China) to post it. Will do something about when I get back.