Board Logo

Wanky brakes, how to make your bug stop!!!
Jayess - November 13th, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Put together with left overs from other projects, can replicate, have more pics,if anyone wants

Bizarre - November 14th, 2013 at 09:26 AM

Nice

STIDUB - November 14th, 2013 at 09:59 AM

Not many people have Porsche discs & calipers lying around, or hubs & lumps of ally to make brackets...

Jayess - November 14th, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Ok yeah sure, I m just special ! but I got most parts 2nd hand , ally from off cuts 40 bucks, 2nd hand 944 parts 400bucks, about a grand total, plus wheels and rubber $700( not 5 spoke, other set 17 by 7.5 off cayenne) and you can use any calipers and rotors, this set up is way over the top for a Bug, even with the weight of a wrx donk but so many options that dont cost $3000 like some experts will tell you. wrx has a great set up for bug, heaps of them wrecked, Golf bla bla.

Point is that it dosnt cost 1000s to do custom brakes

Craig Torrens - November 14th, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Great work.......and you're right, you dont need to spend big $$ on getting a great brake package :tu:

Jayess - November 27th, 2013 at 12:47 PM

thank you sir, it was fun

DylanTheDubber - November 27th, 2013 at 02:44 PM

What coil overs are they? i want a pair!!

from Dylan

Joel - November 27th, 2013 at 06:15 PM

Look like Holzls.

Jayess - November 27th, 2013 at 09:11 PM

correct from Richard 10 years ago, race set up 250 ,pound eibach springs/helper springs at front and 29mm short torsion bars bilstein inserts, shocks, euro bushings and there is race suspension easy, horrible on street but easy , effective and with the right wheel align it totally rocks

STIDUB - November 27th, 2013 at 09:14 PM

Why use short bars? Wheel clearance or stiffer?

DubCty - November 28th, 2013 at 09:09 PM

Nice work man, hoping to have mine sorted soon.

fish26 - December 9th, 2013 at 10:27 PM

That has Hozl's signature, nice work. I'll take two set of 944 Front and rear calliper sets for $400 each.

Jayess - December 17th, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Only have boxster Black calipers left, ill check how much they owe!

Jayess - February 22nd, 2014 at 02:23 AM

AMENDMENT ; these applications are track legal only. To get a set of these brakes engineered and insured you are looking at about $3000 just to satisfy the RMS.

Nice but not for the street.

Lurnt that the hard way

mgiles - February 22nd, 2014 at 09:02 AM

Bummer!

pete wood - February 24th, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I'd talk to a few other engineers. If the car is pre-ADR, then it will be easier still. RMS is getting it's knickers in a knot about brakes at the mo, but there are still some sensible engineers out there. ;)

Jayess - February 24th, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Yeah its such a swamp of miss information and nobody knows for sure,like anything it depends on who is behind the desk when you file your cirt??

I spoke to an engineer who does track day brake tests with the RMS and he said it was up to who ever signs offon the the blue slip basicly.

If your blue slip guy considers the modifications to be that drastic that they have changed the stock geometry or compromised the original engineering standards or are dangerous then he can elect to have the modifications engineered . There are basic guide lines on the RMS website eg, a wheel has to be with in 2 inches of its stock equivalent and if you want to change an engine of more than 1litre larger in capacity or from another make etc.

The RMS have no consistency ,4 wheel discs not a problem but if you use after market calipers or alloy adapters you need to get engineered if you use steel adapters or cut and weld adapters to stub so brake caliper bolts directly to stub you dont have to get an engineer ????Same with master cylinder , same make , bigger , different no prob???

Thats the most I can make from who I have spoken too, right or wrong I dont know??

Ill make a new post, 1 engineer wanted to charge me $1000 for an RMS mandatory brake test,( your car has to do 10 stops in a row without brake fade??) then when I told him how and what I wanted to do to the car and I had a shop and 3 cars to do he " Filled Me in "" This guy is a respected race/road engineer who has been in the biz for years.

So Im just going to run it all past my Blue slip guy and try my luck with mods that he would notice???

Governor - February 25th, 2014 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayess
Ok yeah sure, I m just special ! but I got most parts 2nd hand , ally from off cuts 40 bucks, 2nd hand 944 parts 400bucks, about a grand total, plus wheels and rubber $700( not 5 spoke, other set 17 by 7.5 off cayenne) and you can use any calipers and rotors, this set up is way over the top for a Bug, even with the weight of a wrx donk but so many options that dont cost $3000 like some experts will tell you. wrx has a great set up for bug, heaps of them wrecked, Golf bla bla.

Point is that it dosnt cost 1000s to do custom brakes

So it works out that it does cost thousands if you want them legal??

pete wood - March 4th, 2014 at 07:16 AM

It can do. Look the trick is doing your homework BEFORE you start and ringing round engineers first. This includes all the mods on the car. Engine, brakes, etc, etc. I'm in the process of that myself and have done it before. My experience tells me, they HATE having mods dropped on them. If you consult with them before you spend a dollar, they can tell you what to do, how to do it and it all works out heaps cheaper. ;)

1303Steve - March 4th, 2014 at 07:48 AM

Hi

I spoke to an engineer before I started work on my current bug, he knew me through a personal friend, I said "I wanted to fit a WRX motor to a Beetle", he said "you want to do what?" and hung up on me.

Steve