Board Logo

Huntley Hillclimb - Greg Mackie
amazeer - March 9th, 2017 at 06:21 PM

amazeer - March 9th, 2017 at 06:24 PM

HappyDaze - March 12th, 2017 at 07:35 AM

Nice find Chris. Thanks to people like your good self, I now have more records of past events than ever before. :tu:

modulus - March 12th, 2017 at 10:59 PM

In both of those rounds, those are some remarkable times when compared with cars which were more regarded as performance cars; a VW Beetle thrashing clubman cars and supposedly hot saloons like XU1s should have merited more attention than it got in the press of this time. Either that Beetle was suspension-tuned to a remarkable degree or Greg has giant cojones; possibly a combo.

HappyDaze - March 13th, 2017 at 05:42 AM

Peter, back then - and possibly even now - a 'racing' VW Beetle was considered a bit of a joke. Some people even hated them...especially when beaten by one!

For me, it was mainly about beating Minis. :yes:

1303Steve - March 13th, 2017 at 09:01 AM

Hi

I think I was there that day with my finance. Greg is a good steerer but also understands how to setup a car.

The same car went on to compete in a sports sedan series at Amaroo Park and was a giant killer and upset Evan Green the TV comentator who was a Mini fan to the point where he would cutoff his co comentator if he mentioned the VW.

Steve

grumble - March 13th, 2017 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

I think I was there that day with my finance. Greg is a good steerer but also understands how to setup a car.

The same car went on to compete in a sports sedan series at Amaroo Park and was a giant killer and upset Evan Green the TV comentator who was a Mini fan to the point where he would cutoff his co comentator if he mentioned the VW.

Steve

Evan was a die hard BMC man and went on with factory drives including his round Australia run in a couple of Austin 1800's I think.
Well done though Greg.

mactaylor - March 19th, 2017 at 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HappyDaze
Peter, back then - and possibly even now - a 'racing' VW Beetle was considered a bit of a joke. Some people even hated them...especially when beaten by one!

For me, it was mainly about beating Minis. :yes:

Funny you say that Greg, I have been pushed up into the Modified class in our local car club, even thou the car squarely fits in the up to 4 ltr class. Bit of whinging been going on I think!

HappyDaze - March 19th, 2017 at 05:48 AM

Guess what, Mac...you've got 'em worried. :yes: A Beetle going quicker that much more 'sophisticated' cars does not go over well !! Keep up the good work, mate. :tu:

I was invited to run my Sports Sedan at a Porsche Club super-sprint at Oran Park, years ago. There was a lot of sniggering, and joking going on about my Beetle, but mostly I was completely ignored.

There were highly-worked 911s, with transporters, multiple sets of tyres, pit crews, etc. Guess who had the last laugh, when my Beetle turned in FASTEST TIME OF THE DAY ? :lol:

mactaylor - March 19th, 2017 at 07:55 AM

It puts a smile on my face every time! Love the fact we can mix it with the big boys!

HappyDaze - March 19th, 2017 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

Steve

Here's proof :-

https://vimeo.com/50871885 

beetleboyjeff - March 19th, 2017 at 08:31 AM

I just love hearing about this sort of stuff

tayloredvw - March 19th, 2017 at 09:57 AM

Coulld you tell us more about your red beetle Greg? What engine combo it had, gearbox, suspension setup?

HappyDaze - March 19th, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Basically a '69 Super pan & body, with fibreglass front & back sections, made from patterns by the late Bruce Butler.

!968cc engine, with 48 IDA Webers - 169hp @ 7500rom. Steve Carter would know more about the engine 'internals' than I would. :yes:

Managed to dig an old Hewland 5-speed out from under Ted Proctor's bench, and used a 40hp c&p...no LSD.

Turned the rear trailing arms 90 degrees, and made 'uprights' out of them. Fabricated top & bottom 'wishbones', and used Beetle driveshafts. Fiat discs.

Did similar at the front, using the Beetle sub-axles AND DISC BRAKES ! I didn't like it, but I fitted a MINI rack & pinion. :fakesniff:

13" Mawer wheels, with old slicks, scrounged from Steve Masterton [off his Capri Touring car}.

Cheers, Greg

tayloredvw - March 25th, 2017 at 07:32 AM

So it was IRS rear too? So the rear was effectively a double wishbone rear, did you still use standard torsion bars?

HappyDaze - March 25th, 2017 at 08:08 AM

The rear was supported by coil-over Spax shocks...no torsion bars. Fully adjustable, with R & L thread rod-ends.

nbturbo - March 25th, 2017 at 06:25 PM

Good day Greg- have you been to Victor Harbour yet?

HappyDaze - March 26th, 2017 at 05:29 AM

Next weekend, Gary.

nbturbo - March 26th, 2017 at 01:14 PM

Good luck then "Pierre"

HappyDaze - March 26th, 2017 at 01:26 PM

Merci beaucoup.

nbturbo - March 27th, 2017 at 06:32 AM

Das ist sehr gut.

HappyDaze - March 27th, 2017 at 06:52 AM

Yeah, same to you fellah...