Board Logo

Hill climber rear hub advice please
andrewl - July 21st, 2020 at 05:37 PM

Hi I am rebuilding an old open wheel hill climber and need a little help please.

The rear wheels are beetle hubs. I have attached pictures. The rear axle is fixed (no diff). My first question is whether there is a lighter weight option for the hub.

I already have 13 inch custom beetle rims so if there is an easy swap where I can use the same wheels that would be good. But it is not a major issue. My second question is the drive shaft from the sprocket to the hub is missing.

Do i simply buy a complete drive shaft with CV joints. The hub takes 6 bolts and the sprocket mounting plate also takes 6 bolts.

My third question is the distance between the hub and sprocket is 11.8 inches so the drive shaft would need to be cut and joined. I assume if done professionally that is not an issue.

Thanks for any advice regards Andrew

vw54 - July 21st, 2020 at 07:10 PM

no pics

andrewl - July 24th, 2020 at 12:54 PM

Now I have the images attached!

vwo60 - July 24th, 2020 at 04:28 PM

You could remove the brakes from there current location and mount small discs inboard and save 40 KG of unsprung weight, Image attached for standard length drive shaft, type one, shorter available from type 3 automatic. As for cutting the drive shaft, I would not do it but custom ones can be ordered from swayaway, I just bought a set for my subi gearbox conversion. https://swayaway.com/product-category/axles/axle-vw/axle-vw-irs/ 

andrewl - July 24th, 2020 at 07:34 PM

Thanks for that advice on the drive shaft and the link it is much appreciated. The car does have in board discs the internals of the whole drum are removed. The only thing the drum does is mount the wheels. So is there a lighter weight option?

vwo60 - July 24th, 2020 at 09:27 PM

Try these guys as they have a billet rear hub and adapter. https://www.airkewld.com/Rear-Disc-Brake-Kits-s/2320.htm 

Or a set of type 3 rear hubs with aluminium adapters .

HappyDaze - July 25th, 2020 at 01:13 PM

Where are you situated, Andrew? I have built a few hillclimb cars over the years. There is quite a bit of stuff laying about it my shed that may be of use.

andrewl - July 25th, 2020 at 05:26 PM

Thanks vwo60 that looks like the way to. I appreciate the info.

andrewl - July 26th, 2020 at 08:51 AM

Hi HappyDaze,
I am in lucky lockdown Melbourne