Board Logo

My Drag Bug.........time to finish it.
mike64 - February 3rd, 2013 at 10:09 PM

As some of you know I've been yakin about this car for some year's, other's maybe not. Then there are other's that know this is the 3rd attempt of building my own car from the mide 80's, when I got hooked on drag racing.

I have been lucky to have the chance to drive a couple tube chassie bug's for Dave Stoker over the last 15 or so years's, but I've alway's wanted that car of my own.

The only pic,s I have are a fair way into the project.

This Project started out with a motor I couldn't knock back.

Then I picked up a 1965 Beetle to stick it in.

Of course the plan was a big motor, a gearbox that could put up with the motor n my right foot, n a stock looking bug......... well as you will see the thing got out of hand as it progressed.

mike64 - February 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Motor is a 2442 using a CB high roof alloy case.
Scat 88mm crank n Scat 5.7 rod's.
Mahle 94mm piston's n barrel's.
Head's have 42x39 s/s valve's dual spring's Molly retainer's n Pauter 1.5 roller rocker's.
Carb's are 51 1/2mm IDA's with all of Henry's mod's:starhit:
Ignition is custom made using a MSD V8 dizzy and crank angle sensor with a 6AL.
A Stage IV Kennedy pressure plate n Black Magic clutch plate.
Comp is at 12 1/2 will run on C14

Future motor also collecting part's for is a 2.8 using a Autocraft case, Autocraft heads, simes barrel's with twin 62mm carb's

dragvw2180 - February 4th, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Nice looking car . Mike McCarthy

mike64 - February 4th, 2013 at 05:19 AM

Thank's Mike, have been collecting more part's recently decided to change to a Kombi box in readiness for the bigger motor. Picked up a Folks rear conversion and a case n bell housing.

mike64 - February 4th, 2013 at 05:22 AM

Some other pic's of the car.

tar76 - February 4th, 2013 at 05:33 AM

F*%k that thing looks like a weapon! :yes:

blue vizion - February 4th, 2013 at 07:48 AM

'..... well as you will see thing got out of hand as the car progressed'

'Things got out of hand' - how f'n unusual Mike!!!

It's great to see you posting some shots of the car!
Excitement + !!

Another one for me to polish!

matberry - February 4th, 2013 at 07:53 AM

Looking good Mike.......now pull out your proverbial finger please, and get this thing done. :)

vw54 - February 4th, 2013 at 01:02 PM

Too many chemicals for you Craiggieeee

polak - February 4th, 2013 at 02:11 PM

you and me both Mike lol

snitz - February 4th, 2013 at 02:19 PM

Love the gasser style front wheels..very nice build..:cool::cool:

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - February 4th, 2013 at 04:27 PM

I reckon LMS engineering should sponsor your car after all the wonderful exposure you've given them:yes:

Looks tough as nails even in an unfinished state!! Good luck with the motivation!!

mike64 - February 4th, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Thank's all, maybe around 2 to 3 week's before the finger is completely dislodged Matt, once I get my garage back it will be all systems go.

John it all started way back, you know me can't half do it n if there is a way of complicating something I'll find it :lol: n Dave has alway's said no one can polish as good as you can.

westi - February 4th, 2013 at 06:32 PM

about time
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

mike64 - February 4th, 2013 at 06:35 PM

A couple more bit's on the car, the rear end setup will be changed with the swap over to the Kombi gearbox.

typethreeking - February 4th, 2013 at 06:47 PM

Lookin good mike!!!!!

modnrod - February 4th, 2013 at 09:26 PM

c o o o o l l l l l :cool:

STOCK - February 4th, 2013 at 09:30 PM

about time you posted something up
looks good mate:tu::tu:

mike64 - February 4th, 2013 at 09:42 PM

Cheers, lookin forward to getting back on it full on again in the next couple of week's. one of the first job's will be back to Westside for the new rear suspension n front bar's down to the beam.

vw54 - February 5th, 2013 at 06:59 AM

hows my clock going ???

hypo-vw - February 5th, 2013 at 07:41 AM

very nice Mike , cant wait to see this bug finally hit the strip . Looks awesome !!

STOCK - February 5th, 2013 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mike64
Cheers, lookin forward to getting back on it full on again in the next couple of week's. one of the first job's will be back to Westside for the new rear suspension n front bar's down to the beam.

Don't worry Mike when it comes in we'll make sure its nice and heavy for ya :lol::lol:

mike64 - February 5th, 2013 at 08:54 PM

BASTARD'S........ "NO MORE. LEAD. SHOT IN. THA. CAGE":grind::grind::grind::grind::mad:

mike64 - February 5th, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Pedal's, done
Taco mount, done
Power switch, done

mike64 - February 5th, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Dave your clock will be done, how's the Panelbeater going ;)

westi - February 5th, 2013 at 11:18 PM

You'll have to remember what I have done for you when we line up at the drags . You'll have to take it easy on me.
My car is only aspo. Maybe you should leave the o- ring off the blow off valve or miss a gear or something.make it look like you tried .:starhit:

humpty - February 5th, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Sounds like your making excuses agaoin Brad. :kiss:
Good to see you back into the car Mike.... I'm a huge fan of this one, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it run.

vw54 - February 6th, 2013 at 08:38 AM

Quote:

how's the Panelbeater going

buggar u would mention that word

mike64 - February 6th, 2013 at 06:40 PM

What Panelbeater? dam sorry about that, forgot you said don't mention that word Panelbeater , I won't say Panelbeater any more.................................................................................................................................................. ...................................................................................................................................................... .....................Panelbeater :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Panelbeater :lol::lol: Pan :lol: el :lol: bea :lol: ter :lol::lol::starhit:

mike64 - February 6th, 2013 at 06:57 PM

Brad you now I'll give you ahead start as per the dial in you have chose, after that it's up to you, me, the car's, n the F&%KING planet's lining up n what ever other crap that can get mixed up in the quest for a clean run :starhit: I really don't give a rat's, what happens on the day, who care's...................but I know one thing I not riding no pink bike down that drag strip :lol::lol::lol::lol::smilegrin::no: