Board Logo

Whats the best pan option if building a basic drag car?
Craig Torrens - May 23rd, 2013 at 06:37 PM

I have several pans as options for a basic drag (semi streetable) VW.....so to help narrow down the selection I have two main questions.

Do they make aluminum beams for ball joint pans or only early pans ?

If you had a choice, is it better to have IRS or swing rear setup for a drag beetle?
I can see pro's and con's for both, but I'm not a drag racer so I'm probably not looking at the complete picture.

Cheers
CT

whathaveidone - May 23rd, 2013 at 07:19 PM

Best option is DONT!!!! There an addictive money pit!!!:D
as far as i know k&l are the only option for alloy beams.
IMO swing axel is better. Less parts to brake.
What have you got planned????

RodPenrose - May 23rd, 2013 at 07:23 PM

Craig , Aluminium beams are only available for the early K & L beams . For the rear , the weight of the swing axle is the lightest and most effective way to transmit the power . The down side is that when the trans is out , the car is hard to move . All of this is a factor in the build . I have used both and there will not be any start line advantages from one particular set up . ROD.

dragvw2180 - May 23rd, 2013 at 08:44 PM

IMHO I would say that it depends on how much HP and Torque your engine is going to produce. Under 200 HP I would say swingaxle because it takes less hp to operate it, over 200 I would say IRS with a bus box. To really confuse you I have a swingaxle transmission in my IRS car with 366 rwhp. Mike McCarthy

humpty - May 24th, 2013 at 01:41 AM

:crazy: :tu:

cjbolt051 - May 24th, 2013 at 01:46 PM

Semi streatable... that is what i said :lol::lol:

Craig Torrens - May 24th, 2013 at 04:45 PM

Ok, so it seems my early pan is the best option then.

Cheers to all :tu:

13bwagon - May 24th, 2013 at 05:25 PM

early bug's are way cooler to :D

Craig Torrens - May 24th, 2013 at 05:56 PM

will be a 76 shell :lol:

13bwagon - May 24th, 2013 at 08:28 PM

ok i see you must be desperate so run with it then :D

modulus - May 25th, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
will be a 76 shell :lol:

If you're going swing axle, is a '76 shell a bit heavy, compared with a '60s shell?

hth

Craig Torrens - May 25th, 2013 at 03:04 PM

You're probably right, but I have a spare 76 shell so I'm just going to use what I have laying around. :tu:

whathaveidone - May 25th, 2013 at 03:06 PM

will it be ready by the end of next month????

13bwagon - May 25th, 2013 at 03:59 PM

and what displacement will it be ?? :D

Craig Torrens - May 25th, 2013 at 05:55 PM

Probably 1908cc, and the car won't be ready for a while as I'm building another car before the drag bug.

Stanley - May 25th, 2013 at 07:02 PM

Can't imagine you building a basic drag car Craig :)

Craig Torrens - May 25th, 2013 at 07:47 PM

well ok, maybe a little bit above basic then :smilegrin:

cnfabo - May 25th, 2013 at 08:48 PM

What happened to the drag engine Stan built you Craig

Craig Torrens - May 25th, 2013 at 09:43 PM

LOL, hardly a drag motor cnfabo !

My Stan motor has had major terminal issues.......do you want to buy some twin plug heads ?

I will start a build thread when it comes to the motor and car.

I'm looking forward to the sound of 48's and straight cut cam gears. :yes:

Watch this cnfabo !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9YaMBazbG0 

cnfabo - May 26th, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quote:
My Stan motor has had major terminal issues.......do you want to buy some twin plug heads ? Me so broke....

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - May 26th, 2013 at 08:19 AM

1908cc!! It's a couple of cc's shy of the magic number lol

13bwagon - May 26th, 2013 at 09:02 AM

:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Craig Torrens - May 28th, 2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnfabo
Quote:
My Stan motor has had major terminal issues.......do you want to buy some twin plug heads ?

Me so broke....

Oh C'mon Chris, I'm sure you have loads of $$ laying around for VW parts !!

cnfabo - May 28th, 2013 at 09:14 PM

Nope, just bought our first house, lots to do that involves $$$$$$$$.
What was the terminal issues??

dragvw2180 - June 1st, 2013 at 09:53 PM

When I first read this post I automatically geared my mindset toward building a pure race car that could be improved as time went by into a full fledged race car , after reading it again I think a better choice would be to build a " Hot " street car that you can occasionally race . You already have a newer style body and if you are going to do more driving on the street than racing I would think about using the IRS pan. The car will ride smoother and can be made pretty durable costwise when you are on a tight budget . If you already have a single sidecover trans you ( at least over here ) probably have a 3.88 R/P and a 3.78 first gear, both of which are pretty tough if you keep your clutch setup reasonable pressure wise . There are some very talented transmission builders over there , seek one of them out and ask them about improving your transmission because it is the weakest link . With a bullet proof trans you can have alot of fun racing a lower HP engine without spending a fortune. The biggest differance between a 'RACE " car and a daily driver is one is parked in a spectator parking lot and the other is parked in the pit area, my point is " Run WHAT YA BRUNG ". I would bracket race and gain "experiance" and NOT get fixated on going faster. The mods I would do to the engine would be for durability ( 8 dowel crank ect...) and consistancy , not necessarily performance. I know how addictive speed is , hell I still need my fix once in awhile but it is really expensive . This is advice from an old man who made ALL the mistakes you are going to make if you decide to race. Have alot of fun, Mike McCarthy

Craig Torrens - August 4th, 2013 at 08:17 PM

Thanks to all the drag racers that have sent emails etc with advice..........It seems the BJ/IRS gets the popularity vote from those in the know :)

fish26 - August 5th, 2013 at 06:24 PM

Lets build one of each, you BJ I swing, same weight, same engine......as an experiment with all second hand parts

Craig Torrens - August 5th, 2013 at 06:33 PM

sounds good.........I have enough parts here to build about 4 of them lol

fish26 - August 5th, 2013 at 08:51 PM

so whats the plan on engines, 1776 unrestricted combination but must be NA and carb?

matberry - August 5th, 2013 at 09:13 PM

This could be fun.....