Board Logo

Staging brake
Stanley - July 4th, 2013 at 08:35 PM

I'm looking at installing a staging brake prior to Jambo and Warwick for the new engine. The CNC brakes look good but are a bit exy does anyone have any other options? Feel free to show your set up

SuperOwen - July 4th, 2013 at 09:47 PM

Have you already used the handbrake with the ratchet disabled? Cheapest method obviously.

dragvw2180 - July 5th, 2013 at 02:28 AM

Find a master clyinder and caliper from a motorcycle and build your own stand alone setup with a linelock installed on it . Mike McCarthy

1916baja - July 5th, 2013 at 05:53 AM

Rod has them for about 75 bucks.

FROSTY - July 5th, 2013 at 05:59 AM

I'm needing the same as I don't have a handbrake. I did see rods but haven't called him yet 75 bucks that fits the budget.

Stanley - July 5th, 2013 at 09:25 AM

I use the hand brake now for staging but i'm chasing something to lock front wheels for burnout.

hypo-vw - July 5th, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stanley
I use the hand brake now for staging but i'm chasing something to lock front wheels for burnout.

We have found using a steering/turning brake is quite effective for use as a staging brake ( both Chris Bolton and Ben Ford use them ) and as it is a dual circuit unit , it can also be plumbed to push the lever in the opposite direction also to lock the front wheels for burnout purposes , if you dont want to install an electric line locker . It would have to be plumbed from a single circuit master cylinder as it only has one inlet fitting and 2 outlet fittings

humpty - July 5th, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Been using the good old handbrake method for years, but I have upgraded to a steering brake on the new POS pan.... Mine is a total rip off of how Ben's setup is rigged on the VWMA car.... Works pretty well for him from what I have seen.... And I kinda like the idea of having some control over the brakes where you can control the amount of lock you put on.

whathaveidone - July 5th, 2013 at 01:51 PM

My Drawing not good enough for you:(:(:(

FROSTY - July 5th, 2013 at 05:27 PM

Thanks Wayne, I am only running a single with back brakes only so that will be perfect.
Thanks
Jason

Stanley - July 5th, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whathaveidone
My Drawing not good enough for you:(:(:(

Yes....it was sooooo good it made me hungry for more info. :lol:

Stanley - July 5th, 2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hypo-vw
Quote:
Originally posted by Stanley

We have found using a steering/turning brake is quite effective for use as a staging brake ( both Chris Bolton and Ben Ford use them ) and as it is a dual circuit unit , it can also be plumbed to push the lever in the opposite direction also to lock the front wheels for burnout purposes , if you dont want to install an electric line locker . It would have to be plumbed from a single circuit master cylinder as it only has one inlet fitting and 2 outlet fittings

Thanks Wayne...I'm running a duel circuit MC so would look at plumbing somthing into the front wheels.

FROSTY - July 9th, 2013 at 07:59 PM

Hey Stanley, Rod Penrose express mailed two of them today should be here tomorrow. Ill bring yours up to the tnt.

Thanks for sending it out so quick Rod!!

typethreeking - July 9th, 2013 at 08:17 PM

I brought a ksport hydraulic handbrake off eBay, works well