Board Logo

New Race Car Transporter
RodPenrose - December 26th, 2013 at 06:34 PM

I have decided to build a new trailer to transport my drag car to and from events . I will endeavour to explain what I do and why I do it . I am not an engineer , but I have built several trailers over the past 15 years .

I have purchased some 50 x 50 box section for the main frame that is 2 mm thick . I have some 50 x 25 for bracing also 2 mm thick . The sides and roof will be mostly 20 x 20 x 1.6 that will be covered with a 3 mm thick aluminium composite panelling on the outside . The draw bar is 100 x 50 in 3 mm wall .

I have not yet decided on a dual or triple axle set up , however it will have 4 wheel electric brakes . The frame will be 7.4 m long and 2.4 m wide and around 2 m high . I have always used slipper springs , but I will now change to the rocker spring set up as I can spread the wheels wider apart for more stability .

I am aiming to have this finished for the VW meeting in February , ROD.

RodPenrose - December 26th, 2013 at 06:43 PM

Today I have been cutting and welding all day . Here is the outer frame in the 50 x 50 box section . The 2 centre runners are 1.4 m apart as this is where the wheels will run . I will use a 3 mm thick aluminium propeller plate as the flooring and as these sheets are 1.22 wide I have welded a 50 x 50 at where they join every 1.22 m .

In between I have a 50 x 25 as bracing in the centre of each sheet and tomorrow I will run another 50 x 25 directly down the centre , giving me a maximum span of 600 x 600 mm on the entire floor .

I have decided to taper the front of the trailer and the front of the roof section so it is a little narrower and lower than the tow car to make it a bit more aero dynamic , ROD.

BrisDubba - December 26th, 2013 at 08:19 PM

I will struggle to change my trailer rego label by February and I still think you will beat me...

Stanley - December 26th, 2013 at 08:32 PM

Why a new trailer Rod

Aussie Dubbin - December 26th, 2013 at 08:43 PM

Thanks Rod a good read

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - December 26th, 2013 at 09:50 PM

Have you sold your old trailer?

modnrod - December 26th, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Rod, when you're done (and by the way thanks for the trailer-building refresher! :tu:) could you please let us know what the total weight is?

RodPenrose - December 27th, 2013 at 07:54 AM

Stanley , My enclosed trailer is about 12 years old and is not quite big enough for the new car . Every scratch and mark on the car is from getting it in and out of the trailer , so I will build the trailer to suit the car .
Brendan , I have several people interested in the old trailer .
Modnrod , My open trailer that is 4.8 x 2.0 / dual axle electric brakes / full aluminium floor is 420 kg's . The enclosed trailer is 6.0 x 2.3 x 1.8 / triple axle / electric brakes , from memory is about 870 kg's .
I need to be able to transport the tow buggy , tool boxes , pit shade and spares along with the car to each meeting . I will have the generator and compressor permanently mounted in the new trailer along with benches and necessary gear need to make each meeting more comfortable , ROD.

RodPenrose - December 28th, 2013 at 08:50 AM

Yesterday I started on the roof section . This is all 20 x 20 x 1.6 with a 50 x 25 outer frame .

I have a 25 mm pitch in the centre so the water will run off easier . I have raised this roof section to the level I want it so I can start on the sides today .

I will also turn the bed over to weld the underneath side so I don't have to weld up side down . I will also add the draw bar at this time . ROD.

modnrod - December 28th, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RodPenrose
Modnrod , My open trailer that is 4.8 x 2.0 / dual axle electric brakes / full aluminium floor is 420 kg's . The enclosed trailer is 6.0 x 2.3 x 1.8 / triple axle / electric brakes , from memory is about 870 kg's .

Thanks man. :cool:

nbturbo - December 28th, 2013 at 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RodPenrose
I have a 25 mm pitch in the centre so the water will run off easier .

That thing will be long enough to put gutters down each side and put a rainwater tank underneath.

modnrod - December 28th, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbturbo
That thing will be long enough to put gutters down each side and put a rainwater tank underneath.

Should come in handy in Sydney then........
:blush:

HappyDaze - December 29th, 2013 at 06:46 AM

Finished that trailer yet, Rod ? :rolleyes:

humpty - December 29th, 2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by modnrod
Quote:

Please god, not another washout!

modnrod - December 29th, 2013 at 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by humpty
Quote:
Originally posted by modnrod
Quote:

Please god, not another washout!

It's an expensive way to get to use your Pantene Simon! :lol:

(and yep, I'm jealous of your trip, haha! Hope you have a great weekend this time).

Old Hutcho - December 30th, 2013 at 03:31 PM

Well folks the build for the trailer has come to a sudden....and painful halt. Rodney was working on his new trailer and has done something dramatic to his knee. He apparently cant see his knee cause its now ten times bigger than his head! We all know how big that can be. So the poor bugger is in bed awaiting an appointment to have an MRI scan. He needs support now guys. I for one am prepared to go to his bedside and ask him what I can do to help him finish this trailer. Then I am prepared to sacrifice some of my life by actually laying hands on the project. If he trusts my poor workmanship that is!

regards

Old Hutcho

1303Steve - December 30th, 2013 at 03:33 PM

That's no good, get well soon Rodney

modnrod - December 30th, 2013 at 03:51 PM

Bugger!
All the best for a quick escape from "hostipal" Rod.
Get well soon.

HappyDaze - December 30th, 2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Hutcho
Well folks the build for the trailer has come to a sudden....and painful halt. Rodney was working on his new trailer and has done something dramatic to his knee. He apparently cant see his knee cause its now ten times bigger than his head! We all know how big that can be. So the poor bugger is in bed awaiting an appointment to have an MRI scan. He needs support now guys. I for one am prepared to go to his bedside and ask him what I can do to help him finish this trailer. Then I am prepared to sacrifice some of my life by actually laying hands on the project. If he trusts my poor workmanship that is!

regards

Old Hutcho

Is it his clutch knee, or his accelerator knee?:crazy:

Put me on the list to help with the trailer...MIG, TIG, or whatever.

I can slip down the hill in about 45 minutes, and most days are good.

Cheers, Greg

Camo - December 30th, 2013 at 06:45 PM

That no good to hear, about Rod.

Although I am looking after my daughter on school holidays, let me know what day you plan and I will do my best to get there.

My daughter can always play with Rods son as they are close in age. As long as it isn't Doctors and Nurses, as Rod is in need of those :lol:

Cheers, Kev

Old Hutcho - December 30th, 2013 at 07:33 PM

Its his clutch knee Greg. I tried to ask if we could modify a broomstick just for the day and make it a hand or shoulder clutch. His reply cant be printed here :blush:

regards

Old Hutcho

SuperOwen - December 30th, 2013 at 07:40 PM

Torque converter time!!!

humpty - December 30th, 2013 at 09:18 PM

Oh crap... Good thing his liquid refreshment elbow wasnt damaged.
Get well soon Rodney!

RodPenrose - January 2nd, 2014 at 07:07 PM

Hi guy's , I am back on deck , sort of . I am hobbling around with a left knee that just doesn't want to work . The MRI scan today revealed some not so good bits inside . I will have to wait until the Doc is back on Monday to make an appointment to try to get it fixed .

I have been able to do some light work on the trailer to get the final shape today . A big thanks to Morgan for his time to get me out of the shit with the welding . I have the rear of the trailer finished as well as most of the front . I will try to do some more of the small bracing tomorrow so I can order all of the axles/springs/hubs etc. on Monday .

I have a 50 x 25 at the rear to match up with the 50 x 25 that runs along the outer edge of the roof . I also have another 50 x 25 vertical 2/3 the way from the back so I can mount the access door hinges from . The rest is all 20 x 20 light weight steel for the front . Hopefully I will be able to finish off the frame this weekend with all of the gussets required .

The draw bar adds an extra 1100 mm to the overall length of 7400 , making it 8.5 m long . All of the cross bracing is there to keep it all square until it is all welded .

This will be removed once the frame is welded , ROD.

essex - January 2nd, 2014 at 07:29 PM

Good luck with this Rod, some things just cant be planned, well done Morgan,
cheers Barry

Aussie Dubbin - January 2nd, 2014 at 08:20 PM

Tough break rod, cheers for the update. All the best with recovery

23split - January 5th, 2014 at 09:56 PM

Good to see you're back on deck Rodney; we'll sort off at least! :crazy:
Take care of yourself and get that knee fixed once and for all.
All the best for 2014 mate.
Cheers, Paul

RodPenrose - January 7th, 2014 at 08:43 PM

I am still hobbling round like an old fart , but am keen to keep working on this . I have the outer frame all finished , welded and braced .

I have ordered all of the hardware and have ended up with a triple roller rocker suspension set up . I am hoping all of this may be here by the weekend so I can get it sorted and rolling . I will now concentrate on the mounting brackets and slides for the toolbox and the generator . These will be mounted one on each side just in front of the wheels .

I will have a small access door on each side and I have ordered some funky little drawer slides so the toolbox will always stay in the trailer and can be accessed from the outside . I will now move the front access door a little forward to accommodate the box and generator .

I have yet to decide if I will use the back door as a ramp , or if I will make 2 lightweight barn doors that open from the centre , ROD.

Aussie Dubbin - January 8th, 2014 at 04:23 PM

So what the hell is going to tow this moving house? I imagine fully loaded you are really adding up the KGs quickly.

dangerous - January 8th, 2014 at 04:56 PM

Towing with that blue Kombi I think.
It has an 1835, that should be enough no, Rod?