Board Logo

New ANDRA Class levels
modnrod - October 9th, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I just received an email from ANDRA regarding the new performance cut-off times for the future.
Personally I'm not really concerned, but some people may be affected. Plenty of time to find another second if you need it I spose, but I'm quite surprised this didn't happen years ago.

http://www.andra.com.au/latest-news/andraupdates/2366-summary-of-2015-rule-ch...

Under "Top Sportsman"..........
[color=Yellow]
Below is a summary of the 2015 Rule Changes:

Introducing Top Sportsman eliminator

Top Sportsman is for full bodied cars running between 5.80 and 8.49 (1/4 mile) regardless of engine combination. Superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, four cylinder, six cylinder or rotary – they’re all welcome here. Super Sedan becomes a bracket with a lower elapsed time cut-off of 8.50 and an upper cut-off of 10.999, with the long term plan being that from 2016/17 Super Street will be amalgamated into Super Sedan with an upper cut-off of 11.999.

[/color]

vw54 - October 10th, 2014 at 06:15 AM

Sounds like there trying to reduce the classes

dangerous - October 10th, 2014 at 07:23 AM

This is how it was structured in the early nineties for super sedan 11.99 cut off.

My guess is that it has come about due to reduced entry numbers in super street at WSID,
which is, in turn, is due to the huge entry fees they charge...usually $300plus.(in my opinion)

Willowbank has always had good racer entry numbers in super street,(Less than Half the entry fees cost)
so will likely remain the same except for national events.

99% of VW racers don't do the national events anyhow, since the entry fees are false economy from a "fun to cost" ratio.

dangerous - October 10th, 2014 at 07:28 AM

This brings up another issue.
The falling numbers of spectators and racers at National events
is largely due to the over priced entry costs.

The 'show' is the best it has ever been, so no blaming that.

Reduce the charges and the racers and spectators will flock to the tracks again.
Look at the support the regional tracks attract!

Not many people know that drag racing was Australia's 'most spectated' motorsport in the late 1990s.
Yes, even more than speedway or V8supercars.

modnrod - October 10th, 2014 at 10:42 AM

That's all true Dave. I remember the mid-90s days very well (Dammit! I think I just tripped on my walking stick! :lol: ).
150+ every Friday night at Canberra 1/8-mile street meets (Canberra is a small town remember), 300+ at Eastern Creek National Opens, 350+ at the '95 Nationals in Calder Park, nearly 300 vehicles somehow jammed under the seats and around the track at Ravenswood in the 45*C heat.

The very first Westernationals here at Kwinana Motorplex had just over 300 entrants, all of us fitted in the pits, and the entry fee was $165 for driver and 3 crew for S/St or Mod Bike, competition over 2 days, and well over 20000 spectators on race day. It was huge. Winning the lot gained you $350 for S/St.
The Westernationals last year had less than 300 entrants, over 50 racers had to pit in the Speedway area in the dustbowl with no facilities at all (to allow room for massive trucks full of T-shirts they couldn't sell for important racers to monopolise the pit area), the entry fee was $350, and the comp went over 3 days. The extra time was to allow for the competition apparently, but in reality it was just to drain every single last cent possible from what was left of the spectating public. There were gaps of 20mins at least 5 times each day with no racing on the track, just mindless dribble over the intercom. Winners purse was, yep, $350.

Launching off the line for the finals used to be almost blinding from all the camera flashes from 10000+ spectators, now all you can see at night is grass...........