Board Logo

VW Sydney Drags 2015 - Cancelled
VWMA Editor - January 8th, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Hi All,

I trust everyone had a good Christmas and New Year, and welcome to the 10th year of the VWMA Drag Racing Series. Quite a journey, hey?

The series kicks off on Saturday February 21st at the Sydney International Dragway. Registrations are now open, and if Henry Spicak's registration speed is anything to go by, he may be the man to beat this year. Henry has the title of #1 registration for 2015.

The programme this year returns to a full day and evening of entertainment, and all the activities are listed on the website programme page ( http://www.vwma.net.au  ). Things to note:

1. The Friday night Pizza cruise has been changed in favour of having Dino's mobile Pizza vans at the track on Saturday evening after the racing. There will also be a band to play through until late.

2. After the fun of the VW engine pull at Warwick last year, Sydney will have the VW Bug Push. I already have two teams (the winners of the engine pull and one team from the Flat 4 club). I would like to have at least six! The heats will be run at lunch and the final before the Twilight Cruise.

3. On the Sunday, Sydney will be running their popular Offstreet Drag meet. I have been asked to extend an invitation to any VW drivers staying overnight at the track to enter and be a part of the racing. Normally reserved for street registered cars, Sydney management will allow ANDRA and non-registered VWs who were a part of the VWMA day to also run if they wish.

4. Check out the great HILTI Power Tools Australia giveaway.

These regular email updates will also be posted on the VWMA facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/vwmagazine ) and various forums. The VWMA twit account will also be activated again :)

See you on the track.

Cheers
Craig Hughes
Editor / Part Time Drag Racer
VWMA

ps Inevitably there will be a keen VW racer who claims he never heard about the event, so please feel free to send or post this information where more can be reached.

modnrod - January 8th, 2015 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWMA Editor....... Henry has the title of #1 registration for 2015.

Onya Henry!
:cool:

h - January 9th, 2015 at 03:43 AM

Birch you gotta be in the dub push rep'n clubvw sydanee yeah ;)

1303Steve - January 9th, 2015 at 08:53 AM

Birchall will want to drive

VWMA Editor - January 23rd, 2015 at 08:56 AM

Hi All,

Four weeks to the event and three weeks left to register - http://www.vwma.net.au 

In typical VW racer fashion, the topic of engine lids for Volkswagen drag cars always pops up on some social media channel. One VW competitor did the right thing and contacted me directly (I know - the phone of all things), and the following paragraph is from Colin Brassington ANDRA Technical Officer:

Ordinarily sedan type vehicle regardless of cooling or engine location would need an engine lid of some sort. And this will continue to be the case at events at championship level or any other normal event.
However given the unique challenges of this event/series of events, we would be accepting of air cooled, Super Street style cars running with engine lids either propped open or removed altogether. However preference remains that engines have at least partial coverage.
We’ll monitor the event and competitors, and try and put something permanent in place for next year.

Moving on - camping at the track is available for competitors and crew only on both Friday and Saturday night. There is no need to inform me prior to the event that you will be staying at the track, but I encourage all competitors and crew to arrive before 10pm Friday to help with managing the security of the gates. On the Friday evening the impromptu RC VW cars will be doing their usual stunt/racing thing, so bring your RC along to make good use of the plentiful bitumen. There will be both RC circuit and drag racing happening.

These regular email updates will also be posted on the VWMA facebook page ( http://www.facebook.com/vwmagazine ) and various forums. The VWMA twit account will also be activated again :)

See you on the track.

Cheers
Craig Hughes
Editor / Part Time Drag Racer
VWMA

ps Inevitably there will be a keen VW racer who claims he never heard about the event, so please feel free to send or post this information where more can be reached.

VWMA Editor - January 28th, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Hi All,

There has been one change to the programme for the Sydney drags. Due to a catering issue, the Pizza Party on Saturday night has been shifted back to the normal Pizza Cruise on Friday night. We will be meeting at the Shell Servo at 611 Great Western Highway at 7pm and cruising on down to Glenmore Park for a show'n'shine in the shopping centre forecourt, pizzas, giveaways, etc. On Saturday evening, instead of the planned Pizzas, Volkswagen Genuine Parts will host a free German BBQ for drivers and crew, and there will still be a band and entertainment. So still plenty happening.

I need a few more Bug Push teams to be a part of the fun during lunchtime. Please email me asap with the team name. I am sure if you do not have a registered bug to push that we can convince a show'n'shine contestant to be a part of the giggle :) Don't forget team colours. The rules are posted on the VWMA website.

Trade and swap are welcome this year as I have the help and assistance of the Flat 4 Club to organise spots. The swap is the normal gate fee entrance of $20 per person and trade can contact me for rates.

See you on the track.

Cheers
Craig Hughes
Editor /

Super1302 - February 4th, 2015 at 04:52 PM

so how many entrants we got Craig for the VMWA Drags

Turbo66 - February 4th, 2015 at 05:10 PM

Just heard a rumour the event has been cancelled. Does anyone know anything?

vw54 - February 4th, 2015 at 06:18 PM

Craig will advise tomorrow

h - February 4th, 2015 at 06:59 PM

:sniffle:

Performance Upholstery - February 4th, 2015 at 08:40 PM

Yeah, its been canned. Track management issues I think. A bunch of us are going to go and run the JP 1/8th mile series at warwick that Saturday now... So far we have 8 or 9 Vw's going up. Even a few of the Sydney siders are coming up to give us a hand and well... tow me around all day lol! So come and do that instead!

1303Steve - February 5th, 2015 at 12:58 AM

That stinks, feel so sorry for Craig

Super1302 - February 5th, 2015 at 06:52 AM

Yeah that's piss poor, gee 2 weeks out and they come up with that!
Hope for a re-schedule:tu:

VWMA Editor - February 5th, 2015 at 07:26 AM

After a meeting with Sydney Dragway this week, the new management presented revisions to hire charges and associated costs for running the VW drag event. Although some concessions were offered for the late notice, the fee increase was substantial. Along with the hike in fees, a number of restrictive conditions was also outlined. With everything taken into consideration, the VW drag event at Sydney has become unviable, unaffordable and far less attractive to both competitor and spectator alike. Although the new management passed the buck to errors made by previous management, it was clear that small, niche drag meets, particularly unique one make events, are no longer encouraged at Sydney Dragway.

I have no choice but to cancel the event in Sydney indefinitely. Refunds, etc will be organised soon. The positive out of this debacle is confirmation of how much better rural tracks such as Warwick are in supporting and growing the sport of drag racing in this country. In the future, all my efforts and resources will be devoted to making the October VW event in Warwick stronger and better. VWMA and I will always be 100% committed to VW drag racing in Australia.

Performance Upholstery - February 5th, 2015 at 08:27 AM

Sorry to hear you got screwed Craig... As I said, there is a bunch of us heading up to the JP 1/8th mile series at warwick on the Saturday instead now... Come up and drown your sorrows with us. Also, I'm interested in sponsoring a trophy next year at warwick if you and split the aircooled bracket into ET1 and ET2. I'll give you a call sometime anyway.

Mick Holman

1303Steve - February 5th, 2015 at 09:31 AM

bunch of pricks, grass roots drag racers protested outside parliament house in Macquarie Street and made this track come into being many years ago, even Allan Jones from 2GB got behind it, now they must only want to cater for the big end of drag racers, not caring that the racers hone their skills in lower classes

I wonder if there is another track somewhere that will host it in regional NSW

modnrod - February 5th, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Unfortunately it seems neither surprising nor unusual for track managements to do this kind of thing, it's also happened here a few times, so much so that field sizes have steadily declined to be only 2/3 or less of what they were.
The spectator numbers have also declined in kind, go figure, huh!

I WISH we had a smaller regional track over here, my only option is the Motorplex 370km away. When a proposed regional 1/8 mile track is finished, at over 550km from me, I will be driving there (and straight past the 'Plex........) to support most meets hopefully, even if it means sleeping in the trailer!

Please, please, PLEASE Craig, keep them going at Warwick, Portland, etc. I'm still aiming to get there soon hopefully as a spectator at least. I for one appreciate not only your work in making them happen, but also in recording the events in the mag.
Well done man.

rose - February 5th, 2015 at 11:29 AM

maybe a track at the central coast soon
https://www.facebook.com/2200DRA?ref=br_tf 

vw54 - February 5th, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Quote:

maybe a track at the central coast soon

Been in the making for over 5 years now Would great though to have a track there

VWMA Editor - February 5th, 2015 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Performance Upholstery
Sorry to hear you got screwed Craig... As I said, there is a bunch of us heading up to the JP 1/8th mile series at warwick on the Saturday instead now... Come up and drown your sorrows with us. Also, I'm interested in sponsoring a trophy next year at warwick if you and split the aircooled bracket into ET1 and ET2. I'll give you a call sometime anyway.

Mick Holman

Hi Mick,

I might just do that, but not to drown sorrows. That would have only happened if I had given more money away to Sydney Dragway. Not likely.

ACE76 - February 5th, 2015 at 02:14 PM

Sorry news Craig.
But Yes! there is a great 1/8 mile track at inexpensive, friendly, interesting Portland : Conveniently located half-way between Melb.& Adelaide....

Ollie - February 5th, 2015 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWMA Editor
...it was clear that small, niche drag meets are no longer encouraged at Sydney Dragway...

What an awful outcome.

That really pisses me off - why do that? Turn away willing, returning, customers that are attempting to enhance the scene and embrace what they are offering.

PAZZAN - February 5th, 2015 at 05:38 PM

maybe we should make a comment on there facebook page..not happy:no:

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyMotorsportPark?fref=ts 

QuikBug - February 5th, 2015 at 06:38 PM

Something just doesn't add up

If you had a contract with the track Craig there is no way they can chance things as you said like this. It is like Woolworths advertising toilet paper for $4.00 a roll and them when you get to the cash register charging you $7.00 a roll.

What were the changes and compromises placed on you Craig ?

h - February 5th, 2015 at 07:10 PM

:( not good sydney you suck

Old Hutcho - February 5th, 2015 at 07:49 PM

Guys, I dont race. But this is a kick in the head for the guys who do and support their part of the VW scene. I posted on their facebook page. Doesnt hurt to let someone know how we feel. Its a bit like drafting a strong letter to The Times. Maybe wont do any good but its very therapeutic for me :blush:

regards

Old Hutcho

ps; Keep draggin guys. Do what floats yer boat.

coletrickle - February 5th, 2015 at 07:52 PM

Karma,Ain't it a bitch.

ian.mezz - February 5th, 2015 at 07:57 PM

its all a numbers game, if the number don't add up then no go.

there always

Tamworth Drag Racing Association

Drag racing 21/22 march at Gunnedah airport, part of Gunnedahs Week of Speed. 0428454502 for more information

Old Hutcho - February 5th, 2015 at 08:06 PM

Pazzan. Wrong link to FB page. You got a better one. That one was the motorsport people not the drag guys.

regards

Old Hutcho

ACE76 - February 5th, 2015 at 08:50 PM

This may be it:

https://www.facebook.com/SydneyDragway?fref=ts