Board Logo

When it goes wrong on the 1/4 mile!!
Dannyboy - June 14th, 2004 at 06:28 PM

A couple of pics from the post in pic of the week! Ouch!! Wonder if he's selling his rims?

Dan:)

Dannyboy - June 14th, 2004 at 06:30 PM

try again!

Dannyboy - June 14th, 2004 at 06:31 PM

double ouch!

Kai.A. - June 14th, 2004 at 06:31 PM

jeezuz!!!

any more pics of that?

i reckon the rims would be well and truly fooked by the time he's stopped rolling.....

kai

Dannyboy - June 14th, 2004 at 07:05 PM

Last one Kai !

wacked1 - June 14th, 2004 at 07:57 PM

:cry:cry:cry:jesus

Dasdubber - June 15th, 2004 at 03:00 PM

So this is why you were chasing a roll cage Dan?? :P

warb - June 15th, 2004 at 04:02 PM

are they those taillights someone was after? :mad: .. give him a call..

Dannyboy - June 15th, 2004 at 06:44 PM

Funnily enough i've been watching alot of vw drag racing vids , mailny Hot VW's 2&3. Alot of the hot street bugs seem to get out of shape when backing off. Cars that run a wider track at the back or have a big rake (front very low) seem to handle worse over the 1/4. The street cars that haul and handle better seem to be the cars that are only slightly lower on the front and run a similar track width. Does make me rethink a 135 / 205 tyre combo and my choice on rim width . Looks cool but at speed? Maybe a 165 /185 combo on 5's and 6's would be better suited ?

Che Castro - June 16th, 2004 at 02:16 PM

good thing he had a roll cage :)

dan would you trust 135 width tyres to stop your car or turn around a corner on the highway when its pissing down rain? :) hehe

Dannyboy - June 16th, 2004 at 03:59 PM

Jon your right! However looking again at all drag bugs most of them run skinny front rims and tyres! Maybe it's not the tyres that are the problem?

I'm not worried about chucking it around bends or driving fast on the street . The car is not a daily driver and will only be cruised or raced on the strip. If it was built to handle better around bends i'd lower the car all round and put lo-profiles on it ala 80's cal style or similar.

As you know i'm after an early cal /racer look so that means no lo -profiles . Normally the style i'm after can be seen by the guy above us in the red car. 3.5 / 4's front and 5.5/6 rears. tyres being 135/145 or possibly 185/205's on the rear. Low on front , standard height at rear. Although being the style i want i know there are issues (RTA) around big and little rims and i could get a defect. I don't want to go too big on the front as the tyre rubs and i don't want to go too small on the back as i want to put power down and 185's will stuggle abit. . Ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!

I suppose my only real choice would be to run 145's on a 4" Erco all the time on the front.

With the rear i could run standard rims , nicely painted or whatever , without hubcaps , with the 165's. Not so obvious for Mr Plod and saves money. Would look pretty much the way it does now and be an awesome sleeper. Bolt on 6" Ercos with DOT approved cut slicks on racing . Cheap and cool in a retro way if done right ( my opinion). Could always use Erco's for short cruises etc if need be and been lazy although hard on tyre wear. Or by 2 sets of Erco's!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dan

:):):)

Menangler - June 16th, 2004 at 07:19 PM

That was a sacramento a couple of weeks ago, I was down looking at the swapmeet and missed all the action.

I spoke to someone who saw it happen, it lost traction with one wheel and headed for the fence sideways, then it went over.

[Edited on 16-6-2004 by Dave Becker]

Che Castro - June 16th, 2004 at 07:47 PM

Hehe dan i cant wait to see your car when you're finished! sounds cool :D

The car above - the front tyres dont look that skinny, i thought 135s were skinnier than that? Anyone know what standard width is 155??

I dont really know about those full on drag cars though, are most of them running spools or locked diffs? This would make more sense with skinny tires. If it was me, my main concern would be emergency slams on the brakes.

I also think the standard wide 5 rims with no hubcaps all round looks cool though too!

What brakes are you intending to go to anyway?

the old school cal drag looks good though i must admit :)

Dannyboy - June 16th, 2004 at 08:28 PM

Put some discs up front for a start and go from there! Got a list a mile long!!!

shiftyvw - June 16th, 2004 at 08:45 PM

Front Brakes? those are for wusses...
Made to go, not to stop!
How Was the Trip dave?
Did the others stay on to florida?

Dannyboy - June 17th, 2004 at 05:05 PM

Shifty i think brakes would be good.LOL Although the drums are completely brand new i do not think they're going to like trying to stop the car when it's going full chat with a stroker in it! Just have to add them to this never ending list i have.

pete wood - June 17th, 2004 at 06:06 PM

Read a thing about spools and locked diffs on www.geneberg.com. They say they are an accident waiting to happen. Heaps of bugs have ended up in the barrier of tuning over when one wheel lifts (and the front understeers) just like this one. Gene said always have an open diff in a VW race car, there's too much traction at the back wheels when things go wrong, and you lose control fast.:(

Made me think twice about putting a locker in my buggy.:o

[Edited on 17-6-2004 by pete wood]

[Edited on 17-6-2004 by pete wood]

Dannyboy - June 17th, 2004 at 07:27 PM

Been looking at Rancho boxes. Any words on them?