Board Logo

Playing stereo through mono radio?
XXX-1.8T - January 27th, 2013 at 08:47 AM

Does it sound like crap?

Thinking of buying a old Grundig system that is AM only but it does have DIN input for Ipod.

I take it the music will still come out mono even though Ipod is stereo?

Will it sound bad?

Shuffs - January 28th, 2013 at 06:25 AM

Think that you've pretty well answered your own questions,mono only,and the sound will depend on the quality of your speakers.

vwjon - January 28th, 2013 at 08:16 AM

dont do it, the mono system will convert ALL your MP3s into mono, and you'll get an old crackly record sound as well. procceed at your peril!!:lol:

bajachris88 - January 28th, 2013 at 09:01 AM

Stereo to mono just means instead of having the guitar playing in the 'left' speakers with singing in the 'right' speakers, the guitar and singing will be played out of both speakers.

Stereo simply means 2-channel, mono is 'single' channel. Doesn't reflect noise quality, just how it separates the sounds of the music.

It goes more than that too, you can get 5.1 channel and even 7.1 channel! (for home theatres for example), so watching a movie, a siren sound could go from speakers on the left, behind and then right in the living room and sound like its 'REALLY' driving past lol.

waltermitty - January 28th, 2013 at 09:40 AM

It will sound crappy, well as good as its possible for an MP3 .
MP3 quality is crap/ Mitchell

bugmaniaar - January 28th, 2013 at 09:41 AM

Bugger that
Get something more modern....
Maybe an 8 :smilegrin:track system

ClockworkMonkey - January 28th, 2013 at 09:44 PM

you can get old skool looking radios that are actually modern am/fm units with ubs connections..
http://www.vintagecarradio.com 

they have a section for VW specific radios.... its a good starting place. first one i found when i did a search for it :)