Board Logo

Rooflining
Kent - June 3rd, 2013 at 11:30 AM

so i have pulled back my rooflining in prepersation for a new one to be installed, but when i pulled back i notices alot of the maderial missing, is it vital for sonmething to be there ? if so hwere can i purhcnase this from ?
also uhow the do you removie these chlips and mirrior ! cant figure out how !?

68AutoBug - June 3rd, 2013 at 07:39 PM

Hi
No that is how thay usually look..
the padding isn't everywhere... lol

the mirror just turns upwards to un clip from the hole..
maybe from either side..
just turn the main mirror stem... so the mirror goes upwards..

the visor bits also just unclip.. by turning..
with the hole upwards from memory..

the clip on the right should just pull out now..

hope that helps.. if not I will post pics of the bits..

LEE

Blue3 - June 4th, 2013 at 01:14 PM

Hi Kent.
I saw your post and quite literally walked up to my 1970 wrecking fastback and came back with the mirror 2 minutes later. This is after I had previously given up in the past also. In my case the mirror definately does NOT twist around for removal. I can't post a pic since I don't own a camera or camera phone but on the back of the mirror is the following... (1) A large central (narrow) metal male piece running in an up-and-down axis but lipped top and bottom to catch on the inside of the roof and (2) two small conical metal nipples spaced one on each side of that. Each of these three go into holes in the roof metal. This means that it is absolutely impossible to twist it at all. It looks like this on the back....
o [] o
However if you waggle it mostly left and right (but also up and down) by hand with a fair bit of force I think it will come out as mine did. You are trying to work each of those three pieces out of their holes simultaneously and you can hear as each one loosens. It turns out I just wasn't being forceful enough to start.
Hope that helps.

ps If you know how to remove the internal courtesy light without damaging it can you tell me please?

Blue3 - June 4th, 2013 at 01:22 PM

Sorry Kent.
In my excitement at thinking I finally knew what I was talking about, I'd imagined that you owned a type 3. Then I went back to admire how clever I'd been, and realised that you have a beetle in your avatar. Oops.
Maybe your mirror is different to mine after all......
My apologies if I have given you a dud steer there.
Regards
Blue3

Kent - June 5th, 2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Hi
No that is how thay usually look..
the padding isn't everywhere... lol

the mirror just turns upwards to un clip from the hole..
maybe from either side..
just turn the main mirror stem... so the mirror goes upwards..

the visor bits also just unclip.. by turning..
with the hole upwards from memory..

the clip on the right should just pull out now..

hope that helps.. if not I will post pics of the bits..

LEE

Worked a charm lee, i just wasnt giving it enough of a pull before hand.
now i just gotta wait for the rooflininf to go it!

cheers lee !

Kent - June 5th, 2013 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue3
Sorry Kent.
In my excitement at thinking I finally knew what I was talking about, I'd imagined that you owned a type 3. Then I went back to admire how clever I'd been, and realised that you have a beetle in your avatar. Oops.
Maybe your mirror is different to mine after all......
My apologies if I have given you a dud steer there.
Regards
Blue3

Cheers for your help aswell blue !