Board Logo

what to use as panel trim backing
Wag67 - August 21st, 2006 at 09:48 PM

looking at replacing the door trims and all interior panels on the Kombi and was wondering what people use as new paneling. I have heard of people using 3mm ply or mdf but can you get 3mm marine ply. After something that can handle getting moist. will be covering them with either carpet or vinyl. Any suggestions welcome

helbus - August 21st, 2006 at 09:51 PM

Water resistant masonite is a pretty good start. It is painted white on one side and that is the water resistant side.

Then put plastic sheeting on the inside of all of your panels before clipping the new panels on. They had the plastic from factory as a water and dust seal.

vw54 - August 22nd, 2006 at 07:37 AM

Buy the repro TMI panels for the front and use some ply for the rear

You can coat the panel on the inside with a laquer to seal them and protect against water

65busser - August 22nd, 2006 at 09:30 AM

Hey Peter. Where do you buy the water res. masonite?
thanks
Brad

Vw nutter - August 22nd, 2006 at 10:58 PM

hey brad, i got mine at the big green shed (bunnings), they sell it.
cheers
Jurion

Wag67 - August 23rd, 2006 at 05:34 AM

checked out Bunnings yesterday and they have the masonite for $14.78 a sheet (1220mm by 915mm).

VWCOOL - August 23rd, 2006 at 08:37 AM

Then you gotta cut out eleventy-seven holes to make it fit...

Been there, done that! I'm with vw 54 on this one - just buy new/repro ones and spend the rest of the weekend drinking beer, rather than swearing at bits of shitty timber

PurpleT3 - August 23rd, 2006 at 10:42 AM

We used cardboard. Bought it from an auto trim supply shop, it's water proof and being cardboard you can cut it with a stanley knife.

helbus - August 23rd, 2006 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
Then you gotta cut out eleventy-seven holes to make it fit...

Been there, done that! I'm with vw 54 on this one - just buy new/repro ones and spend the rest of the weekend drinking beer, rather than swearing at bits of shitty timber

Oh I dunno, it only took about 2 hours to cut them out using the old ones as templates. I bought it from Bunnings

megalania - August 23rd, 2006 at 08:08 PM

I don't have the old ones anymore, is there anywhere online that you can print out the template (in a smaller scale) with the dimensions on them already?