Board Logo

advice needed to change 2 point to 3 point front seat belts
type3lover - February 23rd, 2009 at 06:08 PM

Hey all!

As the topic says I want to upgrade to 3 point retractable belts in my early type 3.
Just wondering if anyone has done it, any advice on legalities etc. Obviously it will need to be engineer certified.
Maybe there is someone in Sydney that u might recommend?
Does the top mounting point on the pillar need to be modified? Or is it just a matter of welding / bolting the lower mount in the right place?
I have a set of bolt on brackets possibly from a later vw and a set of vgc belts already.
TIA, T :tu:

PS I assume it would be better to do the conversion b4 the carpets and sound deadening go in?

vw54 - February 23rd, 2009 at 07:24 PM

the top mount will be Ok

but you had better get the engineer to look at the weld on the lower mount and assy
when bolted up to the car

I have done similar but never engineered only to my own standards

type3lover - February 23rd, 2009 at 07:28 PM

Hi Dave. Did you weld or bolt the bracket on and where to? What is the strongest point and is there any need to do any reinforcing?
Do you think yours would pass an inspection by an unbiased authority? :yes:
Love your EFI conversion too...I have also done one.
Thanks mate.

grumble - February 23rd, 2009 at 07:36 PM

See an RTA certified engineer and ask his advise as he will be the one to do the certification.It is quite interesting the difference in load thrown onto the top mount when it is converted from 2 or 3 point to inertia reel. Cheers Les

type3lover - February 23rd, 2009 at 07:52 PM

Thanks Les. Are you suggesting that the top mount should be reinforced? I have seen it done so am unsure.
Any engineer in Syd with VW experience that could be recommended?

pod - February 23rd, 2009 at 09:02 PM

find a seatbelt installer ,as they can certify it as well:tu:... usually baby restraint fitting stations

vw54 - February 24th, 2009 at 05:57 AM

the retractable belts i had were out of a holden from memory and they needed to be in the upright position to make them work so you will have to keep that in mind

I made a bracket and welded it to the body work then reinforced it also plat in the pillar with hidden nuts on them for the top mount point I did this in my Oval

I dont like the retractable anymore as when yr driving along and bouncing in the seat the belts tend to tighten up on you pulling you way into the seat

I prefer 3 pont stock belts although they get in the way when getting in n out of the car

yep fuel injection is good

grumble - February 24th, 2009 at 10:51 AM

No I am just saying that loads are moved to different points when things are altered. There are quite a few RTA certified engineers in Sydney area This list should be available on MYRTA site.