Board Logo

How does one restore saggy springs in seats?
bajachris88 - September 6th, 2010 at 09:39 PM

Hurro again!

i have my original 1969 halfbacks and the passenger seat is great, but the driver (which i will have to 're-cover') doesn't feel as 'supportive' or springy as the passenger.

Can i just pack it with foam under the spring? Is there any way to get that support back?

Although a pair of second hand seats is cheap, the engineering and rails side of things scares me off a little.

regards and thanks,
Christopher Leete.

h - September 6th, 2010 at 10:40 PM

give em to brad at bus n bug that's how ya fix em
too easy

65busser - September 7th, 2010 at 10:57 AM

It's pretty unusual for the springs to give in unless the seats have copped a beating over the years. It's more likely that the coconut fibre pads have disintegrated.
The majority of motor trimmers will whack a slab of foam in there but Volkswagen seat spring systems will cut through the foam in no time.
The seats were designed with coconut fibre pads to give the seat support and protect you from the springs. They also give the added benefit of giving the seat its distinctive 'VW seat' shape.
There may be other issues but way too many seats have been chucked out over the years when new pads would have done the trick. The seats, like the cars, were made to last.
I have pads in stock if that's what you need.
Cheers
Brad