Board Logo

Creating a Parcel Shelf.
dannyarmstrong - January 10th, 2011 at 09:59 AM

The time has come to put a stealthy sound system in my car, I want to keep her all nice and original on first glanse. I've already planned my stelthy stereo in the Glovebox as I want to keep my blanking plate there.

I'm going to be creating a "Stealth Shelf" parcel shelf for the beetle 1302. I was going to buy one of the premade ones but I'd like to try and save money and give it a crack my self.

Has anyone else done a simliar thing? Does anyone have any useful measurements or advise for creating one for a Beetle? I've created them before but never for my old woman.

:cool:

barls - January 10th, 2011 at 02:20 PM

i did mine on my car but that was a fair few years ago. i think i started with cardboard and took a measurement along the back of the seat and where i wanted to to sit under the window, then halved the figures so i could work off a centre line and measured out each side. once this was done i trial fitted it and trimmed again till i was happy with it.
then mounted speakers and carpet and done.

cam070 - January 10th, 2011 at 02:48 PM

I made one years ago for my 69. Cardbaord templates are the way to go. I covered mine with automotive vinyl to hide any imperfections and make it look neat. It's not too hard to do, especially when you have a mate who's a carpenter!

vwo60 - March 9th, 2011 at 07:13 AM

I made this one out of craft wood with some braces underneath, make certain that it is bolted into place so if you have accident it does not come forward and hit you in the back of the head, with the speaker's it weigh's about ten kilo's

cam070 - March 9th, 2011 at 09:47 PM

It's Not that difficult a job. I had a carpenter mate build me a box to house a pair of 10 inch subs where that the top acted as the parcel tray. We then added an angled panel that went up to the bottom of the rear window that housed a pair of 6x9s. All covered in automotive vinyl to finish it off and bolted through the firewall fo safety.

Joel - March 10th, 2011 at 09:01 AM

Same as my old ones

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Lbug/Lbug013.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/Buggin_74/Amy010.jpg

Ollie - March 10th, 2011 at 01:29 PM

Joel thats a killer set up mate :cool:

cam070 - March 10th, 2011 at 08:39 PM

I even had the same 10 kicker subs and my system used to crank. It's now a case of been there done that, so my next system won't be as big.