Board Logo

question on moulded carpet
Granto - June 1st, 2011 at 12:02 AM

hi my beetle is a 56 body on a 68 floor pan and i'd like to order the carpet in the link below for it but they advertise it for 1968 and later 12volt beetles, just wondered if you thought this should still fit my car?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOULDED-CAR-CARPET-VOLKSWAGON-BEETLE-12V-ONLY-/360...

Granto - June 1st, 2011 at 08:24 AM

my beetle is a 56 body on a 68 floor pan i want to buy moulded carpet that they advertise for a 68 -74 model beetle.can you see any reason that this would not fit mine?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOULDED-CAR-CARPET-VOLKSWAGON-BEETLE-12V-ONLY-/360...

vw54 - June 1st, 2011 at 08:25 AM

find your local trimmer you will get a better job

matberry - June 1st, 2011 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
find your local trimmer you will get a better job

VDUBXTC - June 1st, 2011 at 02:08 PM

x3

Granto - June 1st, 2011 at 03:52 PM

thanks guys its unanimous then. what i was really wondering is if the heater channels are different in size, shape or layout in a 56 beetle to a 68? obviously the floor pan fits on but I think the heater channels would be part of the body? and not sure if they are basically the same or not ?

Sunset Garage - June 1st, 2011 at 05:43 PM

Heater channel vents are in different locations for early and late Beetles, and have slightly different shapes, also the pedal assemblys changed their shape and the location where they bolted up to the pan, which would possibly alter the cutouts in the carpet.

Granto - June 1st, 2011 at 05:53 PM

perfect dave thanks! no cutouts in the carpet you make your own so all good there, not as good as tailor made but i'm working to a budget so its an option....
:cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by DOKA Dave
Heater channel vents are in different locations for early and late Beetles, and have slightly different shapes, also the pedal assemblys changed their shape and the location where they bolted up to the pan, which would possibly alter the cutouts in the carpet.

matberry - June 1st, 2011 at 09:36 PM

Also the moulded kit for the later beetle will have a sloped front floor section for the passenger footplate.

Granto - June 1st, 2011 at 11:00 PM

hey thanks for that , i do have the later floorpan , not sure if you mean as it starts to come up from the floor heading towards what would normally be the firewall in a front engine car? hence where you are talking about would be part of the early body?

Quote:
Originally posted by matberry
Also the moulded kit for the later beetle will have a sloped front floor section for the passenger footplate.

VDUBXTC - June 2nd, 2011 at 12:29 AM

In the latter model bugs they had a foot plate. which sloped up from the floor to the fire wall. don't think they had them in the ovals.. You can see the foot plates in black in this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/vw0064/DSC03232.jpg

vwo60 - June 2nd, 2011 at 07:45 AM

I had my interior done at Outrage at Narangba
http://www.outragemotortrimming.com/services.html 

Granto - June 2nd, 2011 at 08:38 AM

thanks for the pics guys i understand now, and youre right the oval doesnt have the foot plate. beautiful bugs you have there :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by VDUBXTC
In the latter model bugs they had a foot plate. which sloped up from the floor to the fire wall. don't think they had them in the ovals.. You can see the foot plates in black in this pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v428/vw0064/DSC03232.jpg

68AutoBug - June 2nd, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Granto
thanks guys its unanimous then. what i was really wondering is if the heater channels are different in size, shape or layout in a 56 beetle to a 68? obviously the floor pan fits on but I think the heater channels would be part of the body? and not sure if they are basically the same or not ?

Yes
the heater outlets changed many times over the years
early round ones that burnt Your right foot off... lol
to squarer types that moved rearwards over the years..
and Yes they are in the body...

in 1969 beetles You could turn the floor heaters off with levers under the dash.. one year only..

later ones [as shown on orange beetle] had a plastic piece that screwed to the body and had little vents that could be closed...

Lee

PS: I have moulded carpets and have not cut a hole for the heater vents as yet... I use the rear heater outlets instead in My 68 beetle..

PPS: You could also fit the LHS footplate to Your beetle...
the RHS one may have to be modified [cut/filed] a lot to fit??

Lee

Sunset Garage - June 2nd, 2011 at 01:35 PM

You won't be able to have a drivers side footplate at all with the oval (or any pre 68 body on a post 68 pan) body attatched, unless you remove the low mounted foot switch for your high beam, and fit a later style indicator stalk with high beam in it.

In fact it's worth doing anyway, because this switch ends up directly underneath the clutch pedal of a later pan pedal assembly, and you find yourself doing foot gymnastics to turn high beam on and off.