Board Logo

Lift kit friendly carpet kits for type 1 beetle? Do they exist?
bajachris88 - July 4th, 2011 at 04:08 PM

G'day,

Out of curiousity, do 'over the shelf' carpet kits to suit vw beetles with a 2inch lift kit exist?

Does anyone have any leads?

thanks all,
Chris. :)

Mr Muppet - July 4th, 2011 at 07:48 PM

Hey mate,

iv'e been through the same dilemma with my baja. It too has a 2inch lift and i have searched around with no luck.

I dropped into Qld moulded car carpets at Underwood who does type 1 Beetle's but they couldn't give me an answer

on the spot cause the guys in the factory had gone home . Maybe drop in before 3.30 and have a chat.

I ended up buying a 7 piece standard kit off this forum and it fits great. The 2 main floor pieces are fine cause they

are fitted too the floor pan( of course ), the front piece which fits under the steering column has a small overlap onto

the main floor piece (maybe its ment to overlap more) . The 2 thin door sill pieces work fine if you push them down on

the floor leaving a small gap to the doors. I thought I could fix this and any other areas of short carpet by buying some trim material

( carpet edging ) in the same colour of the carpet from Spotlight maybe. I hav'nt tried to fit the 2 kick pieces cause I'm going to

get some speaker kick panels. I don't know who made this carpet kit but I bought it off vwsteve off this forum if that helps.

I hope my ramblings mean something too you,

Cheers,

Michael

65busser - July 5th, 2011 at 01:12 PM

Excuse my ignorance Chris, but what difference does the lift kit make to the carpeted area?
Brad

11CAB - July 5th, 2011 at 01:16 PM

The heater channels are spaced 2 inches higher off the floorpan

65busser - July 5th, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Ok. Wouldn't be a huge market for them. Doubt there would be anything 'off the shelf'. Easy to make one up if required.

bajachris88 - July 5th, 2011 at 11:53 PM

hmm. would it cost much more than the stock TMI kits?

was thinking of getting a charcoal hi-qual TMI kit including trunk carpet, and if the sill sections weren't long enough, put charcoal misc cuts behind. kinda want it to look neat though, and cover everything on floor and under seat and front firewall.

DubCrazy - July 6th, 2011 at 06:51 AM

why have carpet in a offroader? all that mud,sand,water etc .. mine came with them but i took them all out..

much easier to keep clean or u planing to be a tarmac queen chris :lol:

steff...

bajachris88 - July 6th, 2011 at 10:40 AM

lol, i know.. terrible hey :no:

Shes gonna be a new daily driver. thinking of getting those rubber ute mats to collect the mud on weekends :P

means no metre deep water crossing though :D

65busser - July 7th, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I reckon the standard sill pieces might do the job. They're wide enough to go over the sill and onto the floor further than 2", except for where the seat sits where it's a bit narrower. Still be wide enough to touch the floor if it needs to be 2" deeper.
That part might not be seen unless you'r looking for it.
Same would apply to the kick pieces. They extend on to floor more than 2".
I reckon you'd be fine with a standard kit.
If you get a full kit which includes floor mats and a tunnel mat, the floor mats cover up to the sills so you'd have full coverage. The driver's mat has a heel pad too which will help with muddy boots.
PM if you want a price Chris.
Brad