Board Logo

Cracked Dash
SebastienPeek - October 4th, 2011 at 09:50 PM

Hey all!

I'm in the process of writing up a list of everything that needs to be done on Zelda's interior to make her looking better. One thing that really sticks out is the cracks on the dash, all around the top area near the window.

Now, I'm curious as to what other people have done with their cracked dashes in an attempt to fix it?

Looking at doing it when I rip it out to fit some new gauges in, so the sooner the better would be great.

I forgot to mention it is a padded dash.

MISS VDUB - October 5th, 2011 at 06:46 AM

There are dash caps you can buy that sit over the top to hide cracked dashes. Hard to find one second hand that isn't cracked unfortunately. Many people made the mistake of using Armerol on their dashs', which ends up drying the dash and cracking it.

Think George at Classic Vee Dub sells the dash caps?

blutopless2 - October 5th, 2011 at 08:37 AM

there is a company in melb called the dashboard doctor... we were lucky with our 74 that it only had a minor crack in the top of the dash pad... we used this company and they did a really good job.. got the glovebox lid redone also so that it all looks the same.
dashboarddoctor.com.au

SebastienPeek - October 5th, 2011 at 09:34 AM

MISS VDUB,
What sort of quality are these dash caps? Do they make the dash look larger than it already is?
I might talk to someone I know that does upholstery, they might know what I can do other than getting the dash caps.

blutopless2,
Thanks for the link, had a look at their website and might give them a call sometime later today!

Joel - October 5th, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Those dash caps are abit of a hokey fix, they look ok at first glance from 50 feet but the fit is pretty lousy and for just a couple of hundred more a dash restoration place can fix it properly

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/759396.jpg

SebastienPeek - October 5th, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Yeah, you're right Joel.

Will call the cousin that does upholstery, she might be able to point me where to go next.
The picture above, same deal as Zelda, they painted the whole car white except under the dash.
LOL

ragged - October 5th, 2011 at 02:02 PM

What about this dash? $50 and it's yours!

SebastienPeek - October 5th, 2011 at 02:17 PM

Hey Ragged,

Where abouts are you located in Adelaide? Might come and have a look at it if possible.
PM me your details if you don't want to share on the thread.

dragsters for life - October 5th, 2011 at 02:39 PM

says his from there in his profile