Board Logo

T3 warning light
dr greg - January 11th, 2014 at 02:47 PM

the light that comes on with the ignition to let you know the filler tank level is OK, then switches off, just stays on unless you turn the engine on and off at least 6 times, I have replaced terminals and sensors etc all over the joint, but it won't go away... any ideas anybody, there must be something somewhere along that chain that's malfunctioning..but what and where!!! It's not something you can ignore and drive on!!!

AA003 - January 11th, 2014 at 02:53 PM

Do you mean the water level indicator?

vw54 - January 11th, 2014 at 06:55 PM

disconnect it pull the plug

Bizarre - January 11th, 2014 at 07:13 PM

Any chance you can try a different instrument panel?

Where abouts are you?
Pretty sure I have a spare one here at Abbotsford.

dr greg - January 12th, 2014 at 02:49 PM

yeas it's water level ind. which is why i don't want to disconnect it., but i did another test today, after the engine warms up ( say 2k), you only have to restart once...

dr greg - January 12th, 2014 at 02:52 PM

btw, real annoying pop-up on this site offering free apple products that freezes my screen, and i have to restart every time i look here!

AA003 - January 12th, 2014 at 05:23 PM

It works off the top of the water reservoir. Make sure that the plug is on correctly. Make sure that you have the correct VW coolant. Unscrew it and clean the probes.

Andy - January 12th, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Dont know if it's related, I have had a couple of times the temp gauge and warning light come on after going through deep water.
probably happened three times after going through water ~100mm deep, the water splashes up around the engine. The next day the light has come on. Like you, stoped check over and re-start and all is fine.
For me it seems ot be moisture related, have no figured where though.

dr greg - January 13th, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Hi it's a new sensor new plug new terminal, yet it still comes on when the water level is full...and it hasn't rained here in 3 months so there's no water contamination.

Bizarre - January 13th, 2014 at 02:38 PM

Reckon it could be at the other end.
Try pulling the Ribbon cable connector off and reseat it and tell us if that makes a difference

Andy - January 13th, 2014 at 04:29 PM

Bizarre, do you mean at the ECU (under the seat?)

Bizarre - January 13th, 2014 at 04:42 PM

No. I mean the electronic panel in the control binnacle.

On my first WBX that panel was shot and the light wasn't coming on.
Needed a new panel.

When you take the binnacle cover off there are some ribbon cables that connect to it.

Andy - January 13th, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Cool. Have not ventured in there yet :)

dr greg - January 17th, 2014 at 07:19 AM

was trying to avoid pulling the dash out...

Bizarre - January 17th, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dr greg
was trying to avoid pulling the dash out...

It's a piece of piss

You just grab the top of the black plastic cover up near the windscreen and lift.
It is how you get to the brake fluid reservoir.
Then there is a bit of soft plastic that comes off
You can see all once you have done that.