Board Logo

T5 Gas Bonnet struts in Australia
Transparu - March 6th, 2014 at 01:01 PM

I have spent quite a while chasing the VW part 7H0 823 359 C (or equivalent), the gas strut VW decided to omit from my MY12 T5 van. It is hard to imagine why so many of these vans do not have this strut, especially considering there is already a mounting ball on the bonnet and the threaded hole below. I was prompted to chase it, having two or three times tried to close the bonnet the way one does on most modern cars. Consequently I bent the bonnet support rod. I found up to 14 different makers of the equivalent part, but couldn’t easily source one locally in Australia – at a reasonable price.

In the end I asked Precision Gas Springs of Kurwongbah (formerly Lawnton), Qld if they could supply or make one. I visited them and they had a suitable unit in stock. They determined that an angled end rather than straight was more suitable at the upper end of the strut. Service, advice and attitude were all excellent! The strut cost $27.50 including the lower ball fitting.

Their part number if anyone is interested is: 204-165-0400-818-B0A-B0P. I asked about postage as Kurwongbah is a little out of the way. Postage in Australia would be $11.00. Even with postage this is less than a third of the price I was quoted for an original.

The extension force Justin decided was more appropriate than the rated VW value was 400N. The bonnet will now raise itself gently once it is lifted a little.

See http://www.gasspring.com.au  (though do note they have moved and a phone call before a visit is highly advisable).

If anyone does take on this information, mention where you saw this message. It is good for people to know that good service is recognised and goes well rewarded by word of mouth.

NOTE: Do NOT visit their old address. They are no longer there.

bushed - February 20th, 2015 at 03:05 PM

I got a set on ebay for Commodore was $13.99 plus post
anyone want I have no use for it atmo
can have the ball conns off my Seat Cordoba as well