Board Logo

'01 Turbo beetle modifications
zeppelin-vwwe - September 11th, 2017 at 02:37 PM

Hi all.

Just wanting to ask about good modifications for a 2001 beetle turbo.
It's completely stock, and a very good car. Just looking for that extra "wow" factor.

Initially, I had the thought to do a chip remapping, but decided that is a rather expensive modification, and I would prefer to just try and get the most out of the factory specs.

The key is BUDGET!!

So I was thinking maybe changing to a larger aftermarket airfilter, and maybe (depending on cost) do the exhaust.

Just wondering what others have done with their cars of a similar year.

Honestly. I am in two minds about the car. Either spend a little to enjoy it more, or, try to sell it on as is and try to find another older air-cooled bug or older car of interest.

I bought this as a daily driver last year, but don't really have that much need for a daily traffic buster right now.

So yeah, if anyone has done similar mods with their new beetle or a golf gti of the same era, I would love to see what you have done, and get an idea if the car is worth a bit of an investment, or just keep as is.

I'm in Sydney, if anyone can recommend a good workshop crew to have a talk to about it.

Thanks, Zac

nbturbo - September 11th, 2017 at 02:47 PM

I have an 02 NB Turbo Beetle and had the ECU remap done soon after I bought it.It was quite expensive back then,but probably much cheaper options out there now.From memory it was a GIAC remap.It was suggested I change the exhaust as well-went to a 3 inch stainless right thru.The difference in power was amazing.The boost was the main alteration to the ECU,but had fuel and timing mods as well.It's just done a bit over 55 thousand K's,but still makes me smile if I give it some stick.Mine is an auto. I wouldn't bother selling mine,because it wouldn't be worth jakshit now,so will keep it forever.

zeppelin-vwwe - September 11th, 2017 at 04:41 PM

Ok thanks

Can I ask where you had the work done??

It is unfortunate about their value. Compared to the other comparable cars I looked at (mkIV golfs, audi A3,S3) the beetle was a far better car for the price.

I just canged the wheels forsome sportier 17's so its looking better. I guess the smart thing to do is keep it
But you know how it goes in the classic car scene, you always want something different :lol: or at least I do

Cheers.

nbturbo - September 11th, 2017 at 05:20 PM

I found him on the internet- he was in Adelaide. Should be people your way that can do it. I tried to have the 17's fitted at the factory when I did the order- but they only fit 16's - so I bought the 17's at the VW dealer and fitted them as soon as I got it home.

zeppelin-vwwe - September 11th, 2017 at 07:30 PM

yeah, not a fan of the factory 16s, hence why I'm trying to sell them.

really was hoping mkV GTI wheels would fit but the change in stud pattern made finding wheels quite a task.

Yeah plenty of joints around Sydney. just gotta ask around and hope for a decent quote

Water Boy - October 5th, 2017 at 08:17 PM

Get contact with Gavin at CustomCode https://www.facebook.com/CustomCodeAustralia/ 

Being the same engine as A3 and Mk4 you have 100's of go fast options for the 1.8t

HappyDaze - October 6th, 2017 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zeppelin-vwwe
Ok thanks

But you know how it goes in the classic car scene, you always want something different :lol: or at least I do

Cheers.

You're not the only one, zepp. :no:

Volksmuller re-mapped my Golf R...made a tremendous difference!

zeppelin-vwwe - October 13th, 2017 at 02:12 PM

Cheers guys.

Car is for sale, but if I don't get what I want for it I will keep it and get in touch with those places if I decide to do anything with it