Board Logo

HOW TO: Installation of alternative doorlock LED..
BenettonVW - November 1st, 2005 at 05:02 PM

As I said in the last 'How-to', I had a blue LED for my door lock from Germany I bought off eBay.
His instructions were vague and scattered with jumbled English language that didn't really make sense, so I sorta had to take it on by myself.

First shot, before photo. Found the three mech screws or whatever they are called down the bottom of the door, and undid them. The only real reason I did oll this was to make it easier. You could probably do all this without doing it the way I did it. You could just pop the LED out the top of the door if you were that keen, but it is all easy to say after the fact.
I also undid the door handle to release the door skin a little more. Pop the cap off and undo the two phillips head bolts. Pretty tight in there!!!

BenettonVW - November 1st, 2005 at 05:17 PM

Get a flat head screwdriver and put a cloth over it as to not scratch or damage the paint, as the next step is to pop the old LED and lock guide out through the top, working each end up bit by bit.

Once it is out, I cut mine about an inch below the plastic section. (For those that end up getting one of these, I joined the purple/black lead to the 'longer' black lead of the new item.) I used trial and error but got it right, and got the wiring correct so it works. I recommend soldering always, but I don't have a soldering iron, so I twisted the joining wires, then used heatshrink wrap over them so it wouldn't move or rub with each other.

BenettonVW - November 1st, 2005 at 05:24 PM

It is then a case of putting everything back in and together, guiding the doorlock back though the hole and the new LED over it, clipping it all into place.

Do up all the screws and bolts.

Lock yourself in the car to make sure it works, and then smile and gloat.. ;)

I have to wait for night time now to get a decent pic, but you can probably imagine. Very similar to the dash lights.

BenettonVW - November 1st, 2005 at 07:03 PM

Ahh.. thats better...

Y2K - November 1st, 2005 at 08:05 PM

hahaha lookin good Jimbo....so whats next master.

BenettonVW - November 2nd, 2005 at 05:34 PM

Uhhh.. dunno about 'master', far from it, but I am sure I can figure out some new mod soon enough.. Still reading about that cold air induction, and found a few cheap PiP racks..

You coming to DOVW? Drive this time!!

Y2K - November 3rd, 2005 at 09:02 AM

nah cant do DOVW....when is it anyway

blutopless2 - November 3rd, 2005 at 10:30 AM

november 27

nbturbo - November 12th, 2005 at 07:42 PM

A really good one I found on the NB site-putting an LED into the base of the flower vase to light it up at night.A bit of work needed-but it looks excellent.The only thing I have done is to have the guage surround painted silver to match the steering wheel.Will get the 2 pieces each side of the grab handle done as well.

BenettonVW - November 13th, 2005 at 04:17 PM

Nice. Don't mind that at all.

I have read up on the LED in the bud vase thing.. Maybe one day. Would be cool at night..

karmen - December 8th, 2005 at 06:03 PM

can help wiff the German lingo instruktionns if any off u gett stuckt