Board Logo

T4 transporter
vwrx - May 9th, 2010 at 05:26 PM

Hi, I have a 1994 t4 transporter that will not start!! when i turn the ignition key the thermo fan starts and the post pump activates. and will not turn over at all. I can push start the van and it runs fine! Can anyone help?>

11CAB - May 9th, 2010 at 05:33 PM

Sounds like a dud ignition switch

grumble - May 9th, 2010 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 11CAB
Sounds like a dud ignition switch

This is a fairly common problem,switch contacts aren't too hard to fit.

h - May 9th, 2010 at 11:15 PM

yep happened to my 98 a while back
not to hard to sort

Phil74Camper - May 17th, 2010 at 08:31 AM

Could also be the power supply relay - some Golf Mk3s also have this problem - VW fitted some Spanish-made electrical parts in the mid '90s and these get dry joints inside them.

Take it to a VW workshop that knows modern VWs - and it's a simple fix. Genuine VW dealerships will also fix it easily, but their labour costs are somewhat higher.

bajachris88 - May 17th, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Sticky starter...

turn the key, get someone with a hammer to thump (but not destroy) the starter... the 'throw-out' shaft getting goo-ed up is a pretty common thing.

As a matter of fact i had to give my brothers car teh 'whack' this morning. Starters are pretty robust, u would need a sledge hammer to destroy them, so whats a normal hammer going to do... don't be afraid to be a little rough.

solution? well, if the whack makes it work, then u know its the prob. Pull it apart, clean it up, and regrease with appropriate lube and see how you go :P