Board Logo

Golf MK2 GTI
MWH78 - September 1st, 2011 at 11:53 PM

We are looking at buying a mk2 gti golf (1991) and have a couple of questions. Were they available new to buy in Australia or would this be imported? It is an 1800 and I believe 8 valve, what would be be like for getting spares (tune up parts, and other regularlly replaced parts)? I have been told they go really well does anyone know how it would go 0-100 and accross the 1/4? I have found some figures from the UK but not sure if this would apply to Australian cars. THanks for any help anyone can give us.

Bizarre - September 2nd, 2011 at 06:59 AM

The 4 door was available and he 2 door is imported.
The 2 door went better.

My mates son has one.
Yes - they are a GREAT car to drive.
Parts can be difficult

Where abouts are you??
There are 2 good places in Sydney

kombibob - September 2nd, 2011 at 07:52 AM

We have 2, great little cars.
Parts can be found easy enough also many parts from the mk3 can be used.
There is a nice one on eBay atm ;)

GASBNR - September 2nd, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I have a white 5 dr bigbumper in Melbourne if your interested.

I have pm my details

OL

MISS VDUB - September 2nd, 2011 at 01:02 PM

Yep definitely had no problems getting parts. Suppliers here, in the UK and plenty of parts available through fellow water-cooled owners on the VW Watercooled forum. We also have a great mobile mechanic here in Bris who works wonders with MK2 GTI's and can also source parts.

Awesome cars to drive, fun and comfortable! A bonus is, there aren't as many around Oz as only so many were imported here :yes: :tu:

ryana89 - September 3rd, 2011 at 06:11 PM

Looks like most your questions have been answered.

Australia only got a (detuned Euro Spec) 1.8L 8v 4 door GTI's.

There are a few imports (from Africa and Europe) knocking around in 2/4 door formant with various engines (16v, 8v, 1.8L, 2.0L ect)

They're a hot hatch, but not a 1/4 mile drag car, good fun in the twisties;)

Parts are easy enough to find if you do some research and plan ahead, I do 95% of my parts shopping online.

If you havn't already, go have a look around on vwwatercooled.com.au