Board Logo

Importing car from NZ
Andy - October 21st, 2008 at 11:37 PM

Sorry to start yet another importing thread, but could not find the info I needed in a search,

Has anyone imported a car from NZ?
I have heard stories that it is not particularly expensive or difficult.
On looking quickly into it myself I was shocked at the cost and work needed.
Costs look like being above $5000!
Some of that includes shipping. import duties, customs, dock fee's etc.
Add to this requirements for steam cleaning, shipping to/from docks, mods to meet our ADR's (car is over 30 years old) and pass a road worthy.
Total process could take 3-6 months.
You would need to budget $6-7000 at a guess, and customs charges are very open ended, especially if it get quarenteened.

Does this sound right, or am I barking up the wrong tree?? It all seems a little rediculous in today's global world a car is so hard to import.

Thanks for your help.
Richard

68AutoBug - October 22nd, 2008 at 12:45 AM

I don't know, buy maybe its because cars aren't a regular
item to be shipped...

are there any cars over there that should be over here??

Lee

StenGuns - October 22nd, 2008 at 05:40 AM

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...

Andy - October 23rd, 2008 at 08:43 PM

Thanks,
I have an info pack from them, ~$50 fee for a note that say's you can import a car.
Rough estimates I have are ~$3000 shipping alone. The rest are the hoops to jump through (mostly government)

Quote:
Originally posted by StenGuns
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_...

Andy - October 23rd, 2008 at 08:44 PM

You never know unless you look :)
Have heard expensive things like monaro's are cheaper over there, so would not think it's that uncommon.
They do have VW's there of course!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
I don't know, buy maybe its because cars aren't a regular
item to be shipped...

are there any cars over there that should be over here??

Lee

PartyHatCentral - January 9th, 2009 at 03:50 PM

Hey Andy,
You'd be surprised how expensive it can be to import from such a close country! The freight on my 14 window was a touch over $5000 from PNG and was not a simple process - ridiculous seeing it was only on the water for a couple days, and cost twice as much as from LA! It must be a worthwhile car you're looking at then..?

Andy - January 9th, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Howdy hat man :)
It is a worthwhile car, but I think the prices are a little out of my reach unfortunately.
Hope all's well with you!!