Board Logo

WTB 3Way 9.5mm insulated male spade connector
hulbyw - August 26th, 2021 at 07:26 PM

Converting my 1968 Beetle from generator to alternator and wondering whether anyone has a 9.5mm 3 way spade connector (that I believe were standard on late model alternator equipped Beetles) which joins the 3 heavy duty red cables under the back seat in the area where the old voltage regulator sits.
Cheers...........Wayne

vw54 - August 29th, 2021 at 05:07 PM

Wayne

I think this is what you need i will clean it up

Its from my smoothie 1916 engine fitted with alternator worked well

vw54 - August 29th, 2021 at 05:11 PM

I wraped the join in plastic tubing n zip tied to prevent shorting I joined on the engine bay firewall
I had the alternator with remote regulator 3 pins

hulbyw - August 29th, 2021 at 09:10 PM

Thanks Dave. That would work however I was hoping not to have to cut off and replace any of the original spade connectors. As far as I am aware VW used a 3 way male spade connector housed in a translucent plastic insulator. My alternator has a built in regulator. Looks like yours was made using the double spade connector from an old regulator? Thinking I may have to try and source some 1.5mm brass and cut out my own 3 way if I cannot find a VW one. Cheers

AA003 - August 30th, 2021 at 07:07 AM

Just a suggestion. Leave your old regulator in situ. Either remove the single end terminal and move it to the double end terminal to make a triple. Another way is to pull the regulator apart and bridge the single and double connector internally for a stock appearance.

I don't think their was a 3 way connector made like the one you want but I am not sure. I think it may have had 2 10mm terminals and the single end was crimped. That may or may not have been on a Beetle.

hulbyw - August 30th, 2021 at 01:47 PM

Thanks Phil. Good suggestions. Stock appearance is not the issue. I just want to be able to revert back to generator and original regulator as a plug and play.

Dave - I have reconsidered and reckon I can use the connector you have in the photos. If you are ok to mail it, let me know the price including post and I will credit your account.

Cheers

vw54 - August 30th, 2021 at 01:59 PM

Mate are you still in Croydon South ???

NO charge buy me a beer one day

"" I just want to be able to revert back to generator and original regulator as a plug and play. ""
thats exactly why i did it this way as reverted back to Generator when i pulled the 1916 engine out

hulbyw - August 30th, 2021 at 05:31 PM

Yes, still here. Very generous. Thanks. Maybe catch up at Valla
Cheers

vw54 - August 30th, 2021 at 07:04 PM

i DIDNT TELL YAR I ALWAYS HAVE A BEER OR THREE

hopefully Valla for sure 2022

vw54 - August 31st, 2021 at 02:38 PM

Wayne its in the post today

hulbyw - August 31st, 2021 at 03:31 PM

Great! That was quick.
Cheers (or should that be Cheers x 3)

vw54 - September 7th, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Wayne

Has the post man delivered ???

hulbyw - September 7th, 2021 at 02:47 PM

Not as yet
Cheers

hulbyw - September 9th, 2021 at 03:08 PM

Delivered today. Thanks again. You even included the insulation! Have credited your a/c with the postage. Still owe you a beer though

Cheers