Board Logo

Fibre Glass Hard Tops
ArtyP - March 10th, 2014 at 06:16 AM

Can we have a headcount of anyone interested in getting a Fibre glass hard top, there is someone willing to make them using an original new one to make a mould. There will need to be at least 8 orders, approx cost $1000.ea This is probably the only chance we will have to get one .
ArtyP.

Craig Torrens - March 10th, 2014 at 07:48 AM

yep I'm interested.:tu:

BrisDubba - March 10th, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Yep I am keen..

vwpizza - March 12th, 2014 at 01:02 AM

Yeap I'm keen,especially with my bald head!!!

BrisDubba - June 5th, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Make that two for me.. my brother bought back my old restored red buggy recently..

Hmmm still short of the 8 but getting closer.

Peter
KO200 & KO526

ArtyP - August 24th, 2014 at 02:48 PM

OK The news you have all been waiting for The original factory hard top which has been in storage since 1969 and never been on a Buggy has been loaned to make a mould. It was picked up in the Yarra Valley and taken to Western Victoria and trial fitted to a CB (just to make sure it fitted ) It has now been taken to Echuca ( to one of the best Fibre Glass men in the state ) who at the moment is making a mould so finally its all systems go ,you will have to purchase a back glass window which is a standard VW part (dont ask me which one ) and you will have to fit the metal angle to the top front and back should be the same as the soft top ones .The cost should be around $850 and they would have to be picked up at Echuca Just remember no one is in this to make any money its to help the CB comunity and if you wanted a soft top made it would probably cost more. Can we have some numbers of interested people it will be cheaper to get them made in one lot than just a one off at a later date Regards Arty P

BrisDubba - August 24th, 2014 at 08:17 PM

Heh Arty, yep am still good for two.

Perhaps if you can upload some photos that might motivate any fence sitters.. I am likely to go on a road trip to collect so anyone wanting one from qld I could probably help out with others.

Cheers

Peter
KO200

vwpizza - August 29th, 2014 at 06:10 AM

I'm in for sure,price sounds very fair..
Cheers
Dean

ArtyP - August 29th, 2014 at 08:09 AM

Hi BrisDubba
As soon as the first one is made it will be fitted to a Buggy and then we will post some photos .
Cheers Arty

mat54 - August 31st, 2014 at 10:29 PM

hi arty
definatly keen on one
I am in perth but i guess i will have to sort that out somehow

BUGBOY - September 9th, 2014 at 07:41 PM

The glass is the rear window from a baywindow kombi.

ArtyP - September 20th, 2014 at 10:13 AM

OK, so we finally have the first one and it has been fitted and looks great I am trying to work out how to post the pictures ( Photo Bucket has changed since I last used it ) The cost will be $850.00 unpainted inside or $900.00 with a Flow Coat Mist Grey on the inside (you will be able to have a different color inside if you want ) This price is including GST ex Factory at Echuca You have Lindsay to thank for all of this I am just the messenger He is on this forum under the name of Buggy6pack so if you want to get in touch with him send him a message
Arty

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo5_zps9e362e3b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo42_zps2bff7acc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo3_zps62d0e799.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo1_zps52f405bb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo4_zps2b8c7310.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/Platycat/Buggy%20Hard%20top/photo2_zps1828baff.jpg

BrisDubba - September 20th, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Looks great Arty - I will get in touch with Arty and place our orders. Now I will have to decide on colours - my buggy is the army green colour so I was thinking black and the other is praprika red

ArtyP - October 4th, 2014 at 07:07 AM

Lindsay Wilson is the Man that has done all the work to get this project organized for any more information you can give him a ring on 0350816275

BrisDubba - November 26th, 2014 at 07:21 PM

Peeps,

I picked my up two black gel coated roofs today and they are fantastic. I cant recommend them enough.

I play around with fiberglass so I know what is involved and these are great value for money, they are being sold at cost price. They even come with an individualized plaque - ours are # 3 and # 4.

If anyone needs any photos let me know, but they look like the white ones, but shiny black.

Cheers

Peter
KO200

ztnoo - November 26th, 2014 at 08:19 PM

ArtyP,
That top is really sharp looking! Outstanding!
You and others went to a lot of work and effort to pull this off. Well done.
Who owns and supplied the donor model for the mold production? They deserve a big round of applause for willingness to participate in the project.
Btw, what are the KO #'s of your buggies? I see the second CB on a rotisserie in the backgound of your fifth picture. Do you have CB runnning gear for that, or do you just have the body?

BrisDubba,
Why don't you post a couple of pics of your black gel top here to give everyone an idea of how a color other than original factory white looks? So you bought two tops, is that right? Do you have a second CB also?

Regards,
Steve

ArtyP - November 28th, 2014 at 06:33 AM

Hi ztnoo. I didn't do anything except be the " secretary " Lindsay did all the running around and he is a passionate buggy owner and that's his workshop the photos are taken in I have just been to the fibre glass maker to see him and order mine he does an excellent job ,I will be picking it up in March he lives a 1000 KM from me .In answer to your other question My Buggy KO No is 401 there is a thread about it on this forum goes back to about 2011 its taking time but I have almost finished all the panel work Thank God !
Regards Arty

Craig Torrens - November 28th, 2014 at 07:29 AM

Wow, just saw this thread is alive again ! I definitely want one too.....so add that to his list !

ztnoo - November 28th, 2014 at 07:52 AM

ArtyP,
Well, if you had a hand in the top project, no matter what you did, my hat is off to you sir. And everyone else involved! I just can't beleive how good that looks.
Where are the tops being fabricated?

I went looking for the thread for KO 401 you talked about. Think I found it. Is this it?
Finally I am ready to start my Resto.
http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=85001&page=1 
In it you talk about your body "jig", which I just referred to as a "rotisserie". Think of turning meat over a slow fire. :lol: A very handy apparatus for restorations!
Been a bit of a long haul, eh? :blush: :tu:
I have to say I personally think you're doing a pretty good job. You are ten years older than I am. I'm not sure I could accomplish what you have, even at my age. Well done!

Regards,
Steve

P.S. I think the forum is long overdue for an extended update on KO 401 progress. Surely you have some new pics you've snapped along the way. We all need some entertainment after Bill Moore's untimely passing.

ArtyP - February 15th, 2015 at 01:13 PM

I am going to Echuca on about the 14th of March to pick up my fibre glass top and will be traveling back to Nelson Bay via Sydney hopefully that weekend ,if anyone wants to have a look at it on my way through I will be only too happy to show them Also in answer to ztnoo's last post sorry I didn't get back to you Steve in answer to your questions Yes it is 401 I have been very slow I had to put in a whole new side (hit a big tree actually 2 big trees at different times)and have had a lot of rust to cut out (I used to take it on the beach ) Have got most of that done now Its only a part time job actually a very small part time, as I seem to have a lot of things on my plate ,anyway I will post some pictures when I think it will be worth looking at
Regards Arty

ArtyP - March 21st, 2015 at 04:46 PM

I just got back from picking up me Hard top and am very happy with it ,even though it may be another year before I need it , ( thought I should get it before the price goes up ) but I must say I am surprised and disappointed there was no one on my 1000 KM trip home that was interested in having a look at it. It is now in my workshop at Port Stephens if anyone is interested.
Regards Arty

ztnoo - March 22nd, 2015 at 12:26 AM

Arty,
Glad to hear you safely collected your new hardtop.
They sure look nice.
All of us love pics, so any time you are able to snap a few recording your progress, don't be shy. Please post them.
Gotta keep stirring the pot here in memory of Bill.
Regrads,
Steve

ztnoo - May 9th, 2015 at 03:11 AM

Arty,
Who is the good soul that provided the excellent original hard top to make a mould???
To my knowledge, that was never mentioned.
It's my opinion that individual deserves a big round of applause from the CB community.
Well done!!!

Regards,
Steve

sgetty - May 16th, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Hey Arty next time i am over your way, id be keen to check it out! Was over there at easter, got the man flue and missed out rock climbing at boat harbour so super keen to get back..

ztnoo - May 16th, 2015 at 11:12 AM

So where is Arty???
He hasn't checked in here for a month.
Calling Arty.........are ya there?
;-)

surfpig - July 9th, 2015 at 10:51 AM

are these still getting made??

ArtyP - July 9th, 2015 at 08:37 PM

Yes

ArtyP - July 9th, 2015 at 08:42 PM

Hey Ztnoo I have gone bush I will check in when I get back and let you know the problems I am having with my buggy

sgetty - July 10th, 2015 at 02:37 PM

Enjoy the hiking Arty, was nice to meet you the other day! Next time dad will have a shovel ready for you :lol:

surfpig - July 10th, 2015 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtyP
Yes

would love to buy one mate,
im in newcastle dont mind going to nelsons bay to pick up.

cheers!