Board Logo

Ko 702
Paulhvb - April 15th, 2018 at 03:37 PM

Hello All, it,s finally time for me to step up and get on with Ko 702 restoration, I first mentioned about this 7 years ago and well this will be the third attempt, and this time I,m going to have a crack and do it myself, sadly previous attempts where side lined due to unfortunate circumstances. So instead of trying to farm work out because I felt I could not do it, I,m going to have a go. Having read and seen some of the amazing work done by folk on this forum I feel it,s do able, not easy but do able...So here goes..I thank Graham from Mick,s for convincing me to commit to Valla, nothing like a dead line to motivate. so will learn how to post pics etc on threads and let you know how I go. won,t be done by Valla but will do my best, Cheers Paul

steveo169 - April 17th, 2018 at 10:03 PM

You go for it Paul
I wish you well.
Keep the questions coming. Not many in the CB club so ask away but shoot us a photo or two.
Steveo

MISS VDUB - April 18th, 2018 at 02:58 PM

You've got this Paul, nothing like a deadline to motivate you! :smilegrin:

Paulhvb - April 18th, 2018 at 03:12 PM

Thanks for that Stevo, Yes very keen to put pics up and share journey, had a look into how to post pics and was a bit confused but a chance meeting yesterday put me in contact with MISSVDUB so now have great instructions. so once figured out how will get started. So just to fill in where I'm at, I met Graham from Micks Motors by chance when inquirying about parts, didn't relize who he was as haven't been on forum for ages as work in isolated places for last 10 or so years no mobile or internet, so hit the jackpot for CB info. Graham then told me about valla, never been before but sounds like fun so now got alot to do in no time. So to speed project up am going to us a donor pan and drive, the body needs so much work. First issue never tig welded before so brought one in December, didn't want to learn on body so donor floor pan had heaps of pea size rust holes, figured if I can fix them then ready for body....well lets just say those pea size holes turned into marble size holes at first, who needs a plazma or oxy....anyway long story short I finished pan last week took lots of pics so will share when figured out. so will start body next time home .cheers for now Paul

Paulhvb - April 20th, 2018 at 02:40 PM

Test for pics

bevoracing - April 24th, 2018 at 12:00 PM

Paul
When you're trying to fill holes, put a piece of copper on the other side of the sheet metal, jam it there with something. Industrial HV electrical installations use some great stuff, 50mm wide by 6mm thick, call it Bus Bar. Stops the hole collapsing away. It won't melt or anything, just supports the metal.
Tig tips :-
Don't try to go just a second longer, stop, cool, go again.
Pay the extra money for a HF tig (no contact start)
When you do a small bit, cool it immediately with air to shrink it back before you go on, while it's still red hot, saves all that distortion. Bit slower but you'll be glad you did it.
Have fun
Tony

Paulhvb - April 24th, 2018 at 05:23 PM

Hi Tony , Thanks for the tips, the Tig I brought is a ac dc unimig type with button start, was a challenge setting up at first, blew a bottle of argon in 3 days....one question I have is when I get home I wish to purchase a sheet of steel to fabricate panels as poor old CB is well rusted and pranged front left corner. I have asked a few folk about what thickness and type I should get, some talk in mm others in gauge so if you or anyone could help with the description to use would be great. have tryed searching site but can't find any reference. I will post pics of CB next week when home, only have pics of floor pan with me at present, feel it's not the CB so holding off. Actually enjoying the learning curve, wish I'd tryed earlier. Cheers Paul

bevoracing - April 28th, 2018 at 01:46 PM

Hi Paul
I'm away at the moment so I can't check, but I think I used 1.2mm galvanised steel. If they had galvo steel back then you wouldn't be repairing any rust now. Talk to your sheet metal shop about it, take him a sample. It was a little thicker than the imperial sized stuff the factory used I think.
By all means buy a sheet but lots of pieces you'll need the sheetie to make up for you, unless you have all the gear. I made rough drawings and templates and had them bent up. They can do the louvers, stamp in the ribs, like in the bonnet and guards, and punch the correct holes etc. I also just got some pieced folded 10mm on one edge and cut them up to repair pieces of edging. Buy the best fire wall and heater channels you can get, it's worth the extra money. Have a look at "weld through primer" and "rust converter" too.
Make sure you properly protect it when you finish so it doesn't rust again.
As you say, the learning is enjoyable.
Cheers
Tony

Paulhvb - May 3rd, 2018 at 12:03 PM

Hi Tony, Thanks for advice, will take onboard, was hoping to put pics up this week, but sidetracked by rusted out drawbar on boat trailer so hope to retrieve CB down from carport roof next Wednesday, just another delay, but keen as ever. Cheers Paul

Paulhvb - May 11th, 2018 at 08:38 AM

Righto finally got body down and dropped on to temporarily pan, checking for fit and easier to move to work area where building rotisserie.The journey begins...cheers Paul.

Paulhvb - May 11th, 2018 at 08:40 AM

pics didn't attach try again

Paulhvb - May 11th, 2018 at 08:44 AM

A few more

Paulhvb - May 11th, 2018 at 08:47 AM

So couple of months Maxville here we come...yer well maybe not finished but give it best shot

Yogie - May 11th, 2018 at 10:19 AM

That looks to be in pretty good nick. Have fun with the adventure and make sure you take lots of photos to share with us.

Yogie

Paulhvb - May 12th, 2018 at 07:42 AM

Hi Yogie , CB is in reasonable shape, but has major issues underneath, will have to replace heater channels, so will get rotisserie done next few days then get sand blasted again but will organise for epoxy primer straight away, then I'll know what in for, here's a close up front left corner. Cheers Paul

Paulhvb - May 15th, 2018 at 06:34 PM

Hi folks, a quick update, rotisserie completed CB installed, have to wait till Monday to get in at sand blasters providing no rain.... So fingers crossed. Just spent some time looking through the posts for ideas etc and got to say some amazing work done by so many, nothing is impossible!! and when people say mines not too bad, now I know why. Anyway here,s some pics of underside, cheers Paul.

Yogie - May 15th, 2018 at 07:01 PM

The rotisserie will make it much easier for you to get to everything. I will cross my fingers for you to not rain but down here in Brissie it all looks pretty dry for a while so I expect you would be the same up there.

We have restored 2 beetles now with MUCH more rust than you have so, yes, it is a good base to start with ;)

Yogie

Paulhvb - May 16th, 2018 at 06:22 PM

Cheers Yogie, rotisserie does make the project more accessible and has already shown up so much. Out of interest I have been looking through the forum and notice I can't look at a lot of pics as have a photo bucket logo over them, is there an issue or am I missing a link, I searched a bit and feel am not sure what's the go, as I feel there are a lot of great pics that would help me with my project. Cheers Paul

Yogie - May 16th, 2018 at 07:35 PM

It is a photo bucket issue as they stopped hosting photos for free on sites like ours or something similar to that anyway. A lot of people are really pissed off with them for it.

The only way you will see those photos again is for the original poster to go through and load them all again through a different site to photo bucket. That involves a lot of work so you will probably never see them again :(

Yogie

Paulhvb - May 19th, 2018 at 09:02 AM

Hi Yogie, sorry slow to get back but been away camping for a couple of days down near Kenilworth, phone went flat. That's a shame about pics on photo bucket, but still lots of great pics and info available, will dig out boot bonnet and windscreen ready for Monday sand blasting, picked up epoxy primer in readiness, just got delicate job of removing glass from windscreen frame, would like to keep it whole as is original with VW logo in corner, also got original fuel cap, motor and bash bars so quite lucky. Cheers Paul will post pics later today of rest of parts.

Paulhvb - May 19th, 2018 at 04:03 PM

So found the rest of CB ready for Monday, couple of pics off various bits, cheers Paul.

Paulhvb - May 19th, 2018 at 04:05 PM

And a few more...

Paulhvb - May 27th, 2018 at 05:55 PM

Well hi folks sorry disappeared for a few days, on annual leave so trying to balance fun with commitments, so last Monday it didn't rain halaluya!! So took CB in and the exspected time was pick up around 1pm so hung around as we intended set sail with trailer sailer 3ish for week of adventure up top of Fraser Is, but alas plan went south, basically blasters rang and exsplained more difficult than exspected so said would be ready Tuesday so fair enough we would rather have good job than quick job. So arranged for mate to pick up, we took off. Well Wendesday job finished and have to say Bay sandblasting and powder coating services, constant feed back was first class and the bill was very reasonable considering time and issues, so thankyou to them, a top job. finally today I got to see the truth..... Well I feel CB has lost weight, there is a lot of history showing, I feel a few owners have touched up here and there and there and there......so here are some pics, I feel I'm still going backwards, still undoing, not repairing, VallaMack is not far away....

Paulhvb - May 27th, 2018 at 05:56 PM

The Truth......

Paulhvb - May 27th, 2018 at 05:58 PM

More truths......

Paulhvb - May 27th, 2018 at 06:06 PM

Even more truth......So now the question is where do I start.......I now realise that I don't want to do a quick bodge fix.... So will bring down to VallaMaks on car trailer just brought, in what ever shape at, at time. We,ll use the 67 beetle to fun around in at Spectacular, cheers for now Paul

11CAB - May 29th, 2018 at 06:56 AM

Looking good Paul

Paulhvb - May 31st, 2018 at 07:46 AM

HI Graham, yes progress happing, had a good look at shell and now can see extent of damage and time to repair, so going with plan B for now as VallaMax so close am going to build roof rack for car trailer and bring body only down with rottiserey so mobile and 67 beetle as well, 2 VW,s with one trailer....this way it will give me a chance to meet and talk to folk who will hopefully give me some heads ups on how to best approach some of the more intercut repairs, also give me chance to look at other CB,s for correct shape parts etc. But for now if you or anyone out there can confirm or send pic of inside front left hand wheel arch panel, is there meant to be a strengthing bar in there? as neither of mine have, but studying CBJohns project see what looks like a strut across guard. Hoping to start fabricating panel today, cheers Paul

Paulhvb - May 31st, 2018 at 02:18 PM

Hi all, got a little excited at thought of making first panel, but it has raised questions??? Was hoping to cut out and make front drivers side wheel arch panel, but note sure how the front corner joins, looked at a few pics on forum but can't be sure if folded tab is on inside or out side or from panel wing, mine are both diffrent. CBJohn on flat4 looks like tab inside and then welded up seam or is it spot welded only, can't see end of wing panel not sure of finish. If someone could show with close up pic or exsplained what is the go so I can cut out panel with tabs on right side. Here are pics of mine as you will see both different. Will do pics next post forgot to shrink. Cheers Paul

Paulhvb - May 31st, 2018 at 02:23 PM

Front wings