Board Logo

Paul's Country Buggy
Pault - September 14th, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Hi all,

here's some pictures. Sorry I didn't know which heading to put them under so created a new topic. Hope it was alright to do that.

This is basically what the car looked like when I picked it up. I've just dusted it off and given it a wash.

Regards
Paul

[ Edited on 14-9-2007 by Pault ]

Pault - September 14th, 2007 at 10:30 PM

In case you were wondering I've taken the front and rear seats out to clean them.

BrisDubba - September 14th, 2007 at 10:33 PM

Paul,

Looks good mate - well done.

Peter

ztnoo - September 14th, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Paul,
Your car looks to be in very good overall condition.
What is the mileage?
What needs immediate attention and what are you plan to do to the CB long term?

I'm not meaning to pry unduly, but since I'll trying to get a reasonable sense of value of these VW's on this side of the big pond, maybe you'd feel open enough to share that with the forum.

Is it now registered and roadworthy?

Overall, with the few pics you have provided, it appears you landed a nice catch.
;)

More pics, please!
:thumb

[ Edited on September 14th, 2007 by ztnoo ]

Pault - September 15th, 2007 at 02:05 PM

Hi ztnoo,

Feel free to ask whatever questions you want. I'm glad to share the info.

The mileage is just less than 30,000km which I think could be true. I guess these cars never saw a lot of road work so I think it's correct. The car is currently unregistered.

Ok here's the history as far as I've been told from the guy I bought it off.

He owned it for 18 years and around 10 years ago he stripped it right down and rebuilt it (that explains the colour). I know it's been a body off restoration because the green paint is in areas that you could only get to with the body off. The motor has done less than a 1000km and sounds great but I've confirmed with Bill, that because of the engine number it's not the original. From what I can see the guy did the suspension and brakes as well. Not sure he rebuilt the gearbox but it appears ok to me.

The car was registered up to 5 years ago and that was when he put it in the back of his garage and it sat there collecting dust. And that's where I've come in.

I plan to get it licenced before xmas and just drive it around and use it, then one day I would like to strip it down and do a full restoration again, but this time paint it in the original cream colour. Also the car is currently running 14" rims instead of 15" because he said it gave it a more stable ride.

On another note, the guy I bought the car off was actually a country buggy dealer in the 60's and he said he sold a few of them around central queensland. So I'm going to keep an ear open for others that might come up for sale.

He didn't want to part with the car but when I told him it's going to be looked after, he decided to sell it.

Anyway that's about all I can think of at this stage. I'll put more pictures up shortly.

Catch you later.

Paul

BrisDubba - September 15th, 2007 at 02:22 PM

Endeavour Rally

Paul,

I think I have some photos of your car from about 15 years ago. It was competing in one of the early Endeavour rallies from people in Emerald - I will try and dig it up and send you a copy.

Cant recall how it went- I was into Dattos back then and dubs werent high on the list.

Peter

ztnoo - September 17th, 2007 at 09:11 PM

Paul,
Please check your U2U messages.
Steve

Pault - September 17th, 2007 at 09:45 PM

Hi Steve,

I just checked and there are no messages.

Regards
Paul

VWCOOL - September 17th, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Nice Buggy, Paul!

Pault - September 18th, 2007 at 09:44 PM

Hi Steve,

I just sent you a U2U, but in case it didn't work, the car cost me $4000 and from what I'm hearing it appears to be a pretty good buy, due to the condition of the car.

Regards
Paul

ztnoo - September 19th, 2007 at 09:02 PM

Paul,
Thanks for the selling price info.
I received the U2U, so I now know that options works.

I just did an exchange conversion at xe.com on the $4,000 AUD you quoted.
That results in $3,413.56 USD at this morning's exchange rate.
Given what I see in your posted pics, I would say you got an exceptional deal.
Because of the overall condition and the fact it is essentially complete less a top and frame, I'd say you got a very deep deal......a steal even!!!
:thumb

Given the two big factors of CB's rarity and the price and condition of yours, I think you have something of high value now, and that value will only continue to climb.

I know not a lot of these crop up for sale very often, but from this side of the Big Pond, I'd be interesting in knowing what others have paid for their CB's, and in what time frame they purchased their vehicles.
What I'm seaching for are "comps" as we call them in real estate here in the States.......sales of like or similiar items to gage the marketplace value.

Any info you Aussie CB owners can provide or contribute would be much appreciated.
Anyone is welcome to communicate personaly with me at:
sbk@indy.rr.com

Regards,
Steve

[ Edited on September 19th, 2007 by ztnoo ]

Craig Torrens - September 19th, 2007 at 09:57 PM

Yes he got a BARGAIN..........................I paid $4500 for a rusty one.

VWCOOL - September 19th, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Yep, I paid $2500 for an even more rusty one... a decade ago

Pault - September 22nd, 2007 at 01:53 PM

Hey I've got a suggestion here. You all know what my car looks like, but I have no idea what you guys own. Is there a heading on this site where you have all put up pictures of your Country Buggy's?

If not, is anyone interested in starting a heading under Country Buggy, where each member puts up a picture of their buggy and a few details about it ie: where they picked it up, condition, mileage, price etc.

Regards
Paul

PS: I'm a new member to this forum so this is just a suggestion.

ztnoo - September 22nd, 2007 at 07:24 PM

I think that's a great suggestion, Paul.
I love looking at pics anyway, and would totally enjoy seeing forum members CB's.
If you think seeing one is rare in Oz, try coming to The States and finding one cruising around!

Regards,
Steve

68AutoBug - September 23rd, 2007 at 01:52 PM

Wow, that looks like the sale of the century...

Not too many Country buggies look as good as that...

and most don't even run
or are too rusty to drive...

thanks for the pics and the Info...

cheers

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug 

Pault - October 9th, 2007 at 05:19 PM

I'm just getting the car ready for it's roadworthy and I've found the reverse lights aren't working. Do the country buggies have reverse lights, and if so, where do I find the reverse switch?

I can't seem to trace it.

Thanks
Paul

cb john - October 9th, 2007 at 08:23 PM

Country Buggies did not have a reverse light.

volma1 - October 17th, 2007 at 07:43 PM

Hi there Paul here is pic of my c/b. volma1

Pault - October 17th, 2007 at 08:37 PM

Hi Volma1,

Your buggy looks great. One day when I decide to restore mine I'll paint it back in the original cream colour. Looks great. How long have you owned this car, and did you do the restoration?

Thanks for the picture.

Paul

volma1 - October 18th, 2007 at 08:05 PM

Paul have had it for a couple of years and bought it that way. Here are a couple of pics with the top on.Greg

volma1 - October 18th, 2007 at 08:09 PM

By the way I took the pics today 18/10 not 1/1/05 having trouble changing date on camera, Greg

volma1 - October 18th, 2007 at 08:10 PM

And again

volma1 - October 18th, 2007 at 08:16 PM

Paul I had the top renewed(still have the og) last december by a local trimmer cost $1000, he did a good job. Cheers Greg

cb john - October 18th, 2007 at 08:27 PM

That looks a million bucks, I envy you...

volma1 - October 19th, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Will be my trailered vehicle behind my motor home for next trip in 2009 to mainland. Greg

Pault - October 30th, 2007 at 06:39 PM

Hi all,

Just to let you know I got my buggy licenced today and I went out for my first drive in it. I'm surprised at how good they feel on the road, though I'll have to get used to the power, or should I say lack of it. And I had also forgotton just how bad drum brakes are. But I guess I'm just used to driving a V6 and disk brakes. But overall for 40 year old car I think it's pretty good to drive.

I've never driven any VW's before, so maybe one of you could tell me, do these buggy's drive just the same as beetle's or kombi's for the same year?