Board Logo

Rebuild....or NOT Rebuild, that is the question !
Craig Torrens - January 25th, 2008 at 09:03 PM

well as you should now be aware my resto of KO 360 is finally under way.................but what do I do about the mechanicals ???

The motor runs, doesn't blow smoke, doesn't make any weird noises and doesn't leak oil...BUT..... my thoughts are that while the car is all apart I should pull the motor down and give it a full rebuild.

The motor is 100% original and has never been apart, so will pulling it apart mean it is no longer "original" ?

DO I rebuild....or NOT rebuild, that is the Question !

BrisDubba - January 25th, 2008 at 09:09 PM

Given you are no novice to playing with such things I would reccomend the rebuild. Saying it is the 'original' will not go far to please the other half when it fails at the worst opportunity and besides it aint like you have much body work to do (you wont get any sympathy from me given how envious I am of your buggy - I almost typed body and then whoa.. what the f...)

and would look great all painted up in original colours.

Cheers

Peter

Craig Torrens - January 25th, 2008 at 09:23 PM

:lol: I like your body to Peter...........hehehehe.

I prefer to have a car with new/rebuilt mechanical, I just feel like I'm undoing history if you know what I mean.

OZ Towdster - January 25th, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Craig even the finest cars in the world are rebuilt sooner or later , some even before they leave the factory , so if me i would be rebuilding the motor but as you will do anyway use as many german original parts as possible

Craig Torrens - January 25th, 2008 at 11:22 PM

yeah it will be just a "freshen up".............new bearings, gaskets, rings etc, and some machining......................maybe some 94's, 044 heads, webers........hehehehehehe

shaihulud - February 21st, 2008 at 11:47 PM

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

ancientbugger - February 22nd, 2008 at 10:06 PM

Apart from you, who else would know?

Craig Torrens - February 22nd, 2008 at 10:22 PM

everyone who has read the post :lol: