Board Logo

KUBELWAGEN replica
thebushman - October 26th, 2010 at 06:38 AM

I thought I'd share some of my pics of my latest replica project.

zocstar - October 26th, 2010 at 08:15 AM

??? It's the thought that counts.

matara - October 26th, 2010 at 08:52 AM

Funny you should mention this, I've been following a thread on an Irish VW forum of a guy who has built his own replica, all from scratch. Makes it look remarkably easy which I'm sure it isn't:-

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/eirgallery/images/onard2010/norm-IMG_5892.jpg

Here's the link

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?6035-kubelwagen-replica&highlight=kubel

68AutoBug - October 26th, 2010 at 01:09 PM

what spoils that completed Kubelwagen is the shiny paint

it shows all the ripples in the doors...

I believe they were all matt colors...

same as beetle bodies on kubel chassis etc..

FLAT or MATT

still, a very BIG job for Most of Us.... lol

I wonder if the convoy lamp on the front is original??

LEE

waveman1500 - October 26th, 2010 at 03:06 PM

I don't think the gloss or the ripples spoil it at all. It's a military-style vehicle, so they look good with body imperfections. Also, that is some seriously impressive work hand-fabricating an entire Kubel body. Not as if there are any complex curves in it or anything, but it's still a lot of dedication to hammer out a whole body. I can't see the thread though because you have to join. :(

matberry - October 26th, 2010 at 03:15 PM

I grew up around the corner from a replica handbuilt Kubel. For years Jerry and the gang (including my brother) did the wwII dress up thing at all the shows. I'd have pics somewhere, even some of the build I think. The car is still around, gets the cobwebs blown out occasionally. Jerrys daily was a commanduer (sp?) replica, was fun seeing/driving them.

bajachris88 - October 26th, 2010 at 06:40 PM

hmmm....

any way to street legal a handbuilt kubel these days?

waveman1500 - October 26th, 2010 at 06:53 PM

Register it as a beetle and don't tell anyone.

helbus - October 26th, 2010 at 09:00 PM

A handbuilt Kubel would have the engine and chassis number of the Beetle pan it sits on, but would probably need engineers report to change the registration body type to "convertible" or "roadster", unless that is what you start with.

I could build a metal finished hand built Kubel very easily. It would just take a lot of time.

matberry - October 26th, 2010 at 09:15 PM

I like the look of this handbuilt, sort of a modern Kubel.

68AutoBug - October 26th, 2010 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajachris88
hmmm....

any way to street legal a handbuilt kubel these days?

swap the rego from a convertible beetle.... [hand made]

including the engine and chassis numbers..

that late model US aluminium Kubel... is a good looker

LEE

thebushman - October 27th, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Sorry folks. My pics didn't get on. I am new at this!!! Trying to find out how to reduce them. Made the molds and panels in steel and fibreglass. Actually built the full kit from ground up. The project should be finished by Xmas.

matara - October 27th, 2010 at 12:22 PM

thebushman email them to me at sam@matara.net and I will resize and post them up for you.

Cheers

Steve

bajachris88 - October 27th, 2010 at 12:25 PM

the bushman, are you in Australia ( i take it by the name haha), with ur moulds will u sell the body as a kit eventually?

thebushman - October 27th, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Yep. I am already making a couple of kits to go to of all places........ GERMANY. :lol: How the hell do you reduce pictures and attach them on here!!??? Much easier to build a Kubel!!!

zocstar - October 27th, 2010 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebushman
Yep. I am already making a couple of kits to go to of all places........ GERMANY. :lol: How the hell do you reduce pictures and attach them on here!!??? Much easier to build a Kubel!!!

You can use photobucket, and then just copy the code and paste it. That's what I do. Easy.

matara - October 27th, 2010 at 08:27 PM

Posting pics for thebushman

Very impressive:-

vwjon - October 27th, 2010 at 08:56 PM

FFS, you built that by hand?? where can i sign up for one? how much for shipping to WA?

Bizarre - October 27th, 2010 at 09:24 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

jeremyluke - October 27th, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Ill have one in cammo green thanks.... haha

thebushman - October 29th, 2010 at 07:15 AM

Regarding Kubelwagen rego in Australia.
As long as the pan and engine are not cut, shut or modify you can build your frame and attach the fibreglass panels. It is registered as a rebodied vehicle.
John. mungobushman2003@yahoo.com.au

thebushman - November 1st, 2010 at 07:59 PM

Just another pic of the Kub.
Just need to fit inside guards, secure front stone guard, door handles and a few small jobs.

vscalais1 - April 23rd, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Unbelievable! Congratulations.

SebastienPeek - April 23rd, 2012 at 10:48 PM

That is incredible!

58camper - April 24th, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Great result....

Keep up the excellent work...

countrybuggybill.

Yogie - April 24th, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Absolutely brilliant work. Congratulations on this work.

Yogie

matberry - April 24th, 2012 at 01:58 PM

Fantastic. Congrats on the results. Very nice.

I hope it's King/link and not Ball joint front end as that Euro Kubel did.

bevoracing - April 24th, 2012 at 02:36 PM

That last post was November 2010. I'd like to see an update, are you still out there bushman?

newghia - April 24th, 2012 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by matara
Funny you should mention this, I've been following a thread on an Irish VW forum of a guy who has built his own replica, all from scratch. Makes it look remarkably easy which I'm sure it isn't:-

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/eirgallery/images/onard2010/norm-IMG_5892.jpg

Here's the link

http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?6035-kubelwagen-replica&highlight=kubel

imagine the size of wheel / tire you could get under that "thing" ( pun intended ) with a narrowed beam !

( Yes, i know its not a thing )

thebushman2006 - July 20th, 2012 at 05:58 PM

Due to work commitments my Kub had to be on the back burner. Sent a couple of kits to Germany but still trying to find the time to finish my own.
I have a floor pan, engine and wheels but all the bearings are missing including spacers and bits and pieces.
So I am trying to find a full floor pan with hubs, preferably Left hand drive. If any one has one for sale:!?

mungobushman2003@yahoo.com.au

So will keep in touch with developments.
John