Board Logo

Rear brake drum removal - is there a trick?
bowser - March 24th, 2015 at 07:11 AM

nut is undone, handbrake off but can't get te drum off the splines. do they normally have to be pulled off or require heat?

matberry - March 24th, 2015 at 10:04 AM

nope, may need to back off the brake adjustment but that's usually it. Is it a kombi, they can be difficult due to infrequent removal. More grunts required!

modnrod - March 24th, 2015 at 10:15 AM

They were stuck on my Beetle too.
I sprayed some Loctite "Freeze and Release" on it and went a made a coffee, a small tap on the shaft, done.
That stuff is my new favourite goop!

grumble - March 24th, 2015 at 07:41 PM

A couple of good whacks with a sledgehammer on the tyre,turn it 1/2 a turn and give it the old heave ho again. This is after releasing the adjusters and putting on stands on a solid surface and all whacks with loving care.:blush:No responsibility accepted.
If this doesn't work you may have to buy a puller off me.:lol:

bowser - March 24th, 2015 at 07:44 PM

I pressed them off using some chains, front drum and a little porta power cylinder to press on the axle. Can off .
cheers

vw54 - March 25th, 2015 at 06:27 AM

back off the adjuster then use the wheel as a lever to rattle it off

68AutoBug - July 28th, 2015 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bowser
nut is undone, handbrake off but can't get te drum off the splines. do they normally have to be pulled off or require heat?

If they haven't been off for many years, they can be quite difficult to remove... I haven't found any with binding brake shoes...
Usually some penetrating lubricant and a hit with a hammer ... put the nut back on the axle... lol... and hit the nut... good idea to have spare rear axle nuts.. lol
The axle nuts need to be done up to the specs AGAIN.... otherwise they will come loose and wear away the splines.... Best of luck

Lee

vwo60 - July 28th, 2015 at 06:29 AM

Any hitting of the drum requires that no shock loading is put into the wheel bearing other wise you could Brunel the bearing causing other problems, vw had a puller that bolted onto the drum with the wheel nuts and pushed off the axel.

1303Steve - July 28th, 2015 at 11:13 AM

A tap on the end of the axle with a copper hammer or normal hammer with a hardwood block will loosen the grip on the spline