Board Logo

1300 Timing
gvangalen - August 24th, 2016 at 12:56 PM

I have a 67 bug with a stock standard 1300 and a stock distributor ( a short stubby one with vacuum advance) .

My pulley belt has 2 notches at the rear about 3 mm apart and one white dot on front of pulley. I lined up the right hand notch with slit in the block and did a static timing adjustment by connecting contact light probe and turning Distributor until light turned on.

the bug starts ok but I feel that it is now sluggish up hills and takes longer to get up to normal speeds . I guess I need to use a strobe now for the finer adjustment . I get confused with all the Timing procedures and the terminologies of 7.5 degrees , 10 degrees before TDC etc depending on what notches are in the pulley .

So could someone please advise me on the info given on what I actually have to line up and when using strobe and where the notches should be to get correct timing?

PS it was running perfectly before I adjusted the distributor position so nothing else should be causing the issue . I can supply a photo if needed

gvangalen - September 14th, 2016 at 01:07 PM

Can Anyone shed some light ? I have static timed the motor on the left hand notch - but its not quite right should I just move slightly more to the left?

sander288 - September 14th, 2016 at 01:21 PM

Use the left hand notch
If that doesn't feel right, make sure your dwell is ok

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66bug/46-47.jpg