Board Logo

Selling a bug- how to know its value?
Terence - January 12th, 2017 at 05:07 PM

Hi all

I have a bug that I am looking to sell, but I have no idea what it might be worth. It is a blue/teal 1972 Beetle, the engine was originally a 1300 but replaced with a 1600. It is also part of the 15 million series (includes the badge). It still goes, but has just been sitting in the shed for the last couple of years. Does anyone have any ideas on what it may be worth, or how to figure out its value?

Thanks

barls - January 12th, 2017 at 06:51 PM

ok a few things straight off the bat. the 15th million series were all supers i thought.
ok hows the body and pan, any rust?
hows the engine and gearbox?
does the interior show the age as well or is in good nick.
if you have a reasonable body with a reasonable engine and gear box id look to start around 5g. i know when i was looking about 10 years ago i looked at some very crappy cars for more than they were worth.
saying that its all about finding the right person on the day who will pay the amount that your after.

Bizarre - January 12th, 2017 at 07:08 PM

G'day and welcome

Its all about rust in my opinion

G'day and welcome

As a plus you have a standard beetle - not a super (personally - I like supers)
But it is not a 15 millionth.

Can you post the vin number - that will tell us the model.
I would be guessing it is a 1971?

Healthy motor, no end play, good mechnicals, NO RUST, tidy original interior, good paint................ $8k on a good day

Shot motor, worn steering box and suspension, bogged over body with blow over paint job, dodgy interior................ $3k if you lucky

Location plays a part, rego, and which way the wind blows

68AutoBug - January 18th, 2017 at 09:31 PM

Well, the pic looks good...
I've seen worse cars [non modified with 1600 engine 12 volts] that have been bought for $8,000...

there are a lot of things that can go wrong or wear out or be modified by someone...

If it doesn't need painting or the interior done etc...NO RUST...
brakes OK and engine not dripping with oil...
$8000 still sounds too high for Me...

but as said it depends on where it is.... is registered.... who is looking to buy one....
and has the ready cash.... and whether they are going to drive it as it is or spend money on colour change and modifications....

LEE

Finky - January 21st, 2017 at 03:40 PM

More pics would help give a value! But yes $8000 if its got no rust and drives well and has a good interior and good paint. Iv got a 1300 commemorate beetle aswell. They did both super and standard beetles.