Board Logo

Body Issues
Shanew - June 14th, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Hi Guys
I have picked up a 1971 Superbug that at some point was made into a convertible. The guy who had it before me replaced the floor and heater channels and appears to not have braced the body properly. So the passenger door has to be shut quite hard as the gap at the rear is too tight. Whats the best way to rectify this properly?

Bizarre - June 14th, 2017 at 01:23 PM

I would give up now

You will need to get this engineered to get registered and the effort required will not be worth the return

You can buy engineered chops with previous history for a couple of grand

You will spend that undoing what some muppets done
Unless you are an unemployed steel fabricator looking at filling in time and your uncle is a DMR Engineer with a VW parts shop it is a dead project

Shanew - June 14th, 2017 at 01:53 PM

Should have added it is registered as a convertible vehicle as far back as the paperwork I have goes. its not a barn find and has been driven most weekends by the last owner. Floor was replaced about 5 years ago.

bushed - August 27th, 2017 at 06:07 PM

what state are you in

confused? he he

diffr. laws in states check out any cabrio bug or golf that is regoed
I'm in Qld & I have both...1 Rabbit USA and 1 Roadster super! come see. tis not that hard if you get help... these have a 4-5" box section along the heater channel.
I may have a roll bar option which firms up the top and the engineers specs. for you
you may get more money selling your vert for parts than you paid,...mate needs a gear box
I 'm tempted by a gd 1600 mtr tp