Board Logo

VW Type 4/Kombi Motor
BlasterTheRedBajaBug - December 30th, 2017 at 09:37 AM

Hi All,
I have been talking to a guy down in NSW that owns (And daily drives) a Purvis Eureka, and we got to a conclusion, that if I am driving said car in stop start traffic i.e. Red Light to Red Light, but also doing a fair few highway K's an 1800 or 2L fuel injected motor would be the best choice (Or put a subi motor in, but I am 100% against that).
So I have a few questions to ask you regarding this:
1. How hard is it to fit said motor.
2. What is the difference fuel wise, because at $1.50 a liter or more, that can add up fast.
3. Where would I find a motor, second hand or brand new?
I had a cousin who put a Type 4 motor in his buggy, but that was built with the kombi gear box as well.
I am asking this now as I have to order parts, and make a more comprehensive list of every little detail.
Thanks
M

AA003 - December 30th, 2017 at 03:33 PM

Get in touch with Vintage Vee Dub Supplies. They have done this before with Beetles.

coletrickle - December 30th, 2017 at 09:31 PM

A really good type 1 engine is underrated superlight compared to subies and type 4 engines and you seem like you want to look at all avenues on everything. Do the math on just the weight increases over a type 1 engine then do the front/rear weights and see where your at. Then check your wallet.

Andy - December 30th, 2017 at 09:46 PM

I agree with Coletrickle, I have had both as daily drivers, nothing wrong with a good type 1 engine. Even though EFI is nice, I would not say they are better for stop start traffic than carbies.
As far as economy, type 1, type 4, efi, carb are all similar, it depends more on the drivers right foot
If you want good economy, get a late model polo.....

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - December 31st, 2017 at 01:42 AM

Super-light isn't really a major problem, a heavier engine would probably be a benefit as the car is super light already.
I will contact Vintage Vee Dub soon, I will let them have a break for New Years and a few days after.
Right now all non-water cooled engines are a possibility, a water cooled motor is very very very difficult to fit with plumbing and radiator fitment etc. as these really only have space for a spare wheel up front if that.
Thanks
M

Bizarre - December 31st, 2017 at 07:24 AM

Does it need to be upright?
Type 4 upright kits just add money

An exhaust with heat gets real difficult

What is the base motor design for these things?
Upright or pancake?

coletrickle - December 31st, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Purvis urekas had upright engines. Id be surprised if there was enough room at the back for the t4 fan assembly then id be surprised if the eureka has enough air intake area for a t4 engines requirements.I would start by working out how much air is avaliable. to the engine bay then you can see what is really going to be the best option. Cause if the engine you choose requires x amount of air but your air intakes supply y your screwed.Ill say it again a good type 1 engine be it 1600-2332 will make 100hp at the wheels reliably with carbs and decent mpg.As for weight being a good thing, no i dont think so, bang 50kg on the bumper of a bug and see how that handles!

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - December 31st, 2017 at 11:56 AM

Hi,
Eureka's have 3 lots of air intakes, side pods, roof intakes and under the front, as well as a vent above the engine.
Most eureka's engines have been swapped for rotaries, subies or pancake motors, but all seem to have a different gear-box from subaru-gears or kombi's.
I would like to keep the beetle gearbox as it was rebuilt in 2011 before I bought the car (I have receipts for this).
The car has no weight in the back so any extra is good so long as it isn't too much.
Thanks
M
PS Happy New Years to all.

Bizarre - December 31st, 2017 at 04:24 PM

"a water cooled motor is very very very difficult to fit with plumbing and radiator fitment etc."

"Most eureka's engines have been swapped for rotaries, subies"

Cant be too hard to fit a water cooled

grumble - December 31st, 2017 at 05:05 PM

The 2litre T4 engine converted to upright and installed in a beetle makes it a very driveable vehicle with reliability. Yes it is a bit heavier and the conversion is time intensive if you want the vehicle to have heaters etc but in my experience it is a far better engine than a hi performance beetle engine or subaru conversion. In know a lot will disagree but I am just stating my experience, I have had a lot of modified early VW's and I think even a standard T4 engine is much better.

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - January 1st, 2018 at 12:32 AM

Well, Swapping the engine to water-cooled, means you loose the spare tire well, and you have to hack up the body to fit them. I have an original car, and that makes it super difficult to fit pipes in the small spaces.
Thanks

Bone - January 2nd, 2018 at 04:41 PM

I totally disagree with type 1 or even type 4 engines. Too get 100hp to the rears out of a type 1 engine = a thick wallet!
To get a rebuilt type 4 engine with 100 hp rwhp takes a even thicker wallet! A simple Ej22 will give you the 100 hp to the rears.
It will also give you better fuel economy for a daily driver with virtually no maintenance. I know this because, I've had them all!
There's a good reason why guys run Subi's in Kit cars. Imo it's just a fibreglass kit car like a Manx buggy or Baja ect, so drilling a few holes is
not a issue. Talk to the guys that have actually done Subi's conversions, not just the rumours. Comparing the weight of a EJ Subi to a type 4 engine
is absurd ! Really clutching at straws now with that one!

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - January 3rd, 2018 at 12:00 AM

Hi,
I totally disagree, it isn't just a kit car, it is one of 680-something, they aren't just re-placeable.
As I have said, no water-cooled options will be considered at all no if's and's or's or but's, air-cooled only.
If not a type 4, then what else that would bolt in that gives the same horsepower and torque?
Thanks
M

Bone - January 3rd, 2018 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlasterTheRedBajaBug
Hi,
I totally disagree, it isn't just a kit car, it is one of 680-something, they aren't just re-placeable.
As I have said, no water-cooled options will be considered at all no if's and's or's or but's, air-cooled only.
If not a type 4, then what else that would bolt in that gives the same horsepower and torque?
Thanks
M
Do what you can afford and what you actually want. Your car your choice. Cheers

HappyDaze - January 3rd, 2018 at 07:00 AM

It is difficult to learn from other's mistakes. Sometimes you just have to learn from your own mistakes...hope you're a fast learner, with a good income!

BlasterTheRedBajaBug - January 3rd, 2018 at 01:37 PM

Well,
Mistakes are just bumps i the road to knowledge.
Thanks
M

vwo60 - January 3rd, 2018 at 08:04 PM

You mention that weight is not an issue as the Pervis is light, there is a major problem with rear engine cars and that is the polar movement of inertia, lightness is your friend.