Board Logo

Guiness record for Beetle engine change
ash1965 - July 10th, 2008 at 03:34 PM

Hi guys,

If you haven't seen it, here is the video of Steve Muller and his team's Guiness world record for changing a Beetle engine. Amazing stuff.

Click here - Guiness world record

Here is a test run. Fast but painful..you'll see what I mean.

Click here - Practice run

All the best

Ash

hellbugged - July 10th, 2008 at 03:59 PM

:lol:...........practice one hurts!

vwsteve - July 10th, 2008 at 05:31 PM

farking unbelieveable, i thought i was good at under 10 mi nites, damn!and thats just pulling 1 out!

Joel - July 10th, 2008 at 05:41 PM

now lets see them try it with IDAs, remote cooler and filter and a berg rear hanger :lol:

top effort guys

Brad - July 10th, 2008 at 07:47 PM

man although cool, half of the stuff is already off and lot doesn't get put back on with screws. It is a real pity that the record doeasn't call for the car to be driven in and out as a fully assembled car.

Deck Lid is not bolted one
Engine Tinware is just sitting there
Air Cleaner is bolted on
Fuel line has been modified

Just to mention a few.

I mean hats off to them for getting it done so quick, and I am guessing in line with the rules..

kombikim - July 11th, 2008 at 07:34 AM

fanastic effort - so much work has gone into it - & to get it exactly right under pressure on TV.......& reduce the record time by such a huge margin, certainly a lot of prestige for Australia too. well done Steve & team. (Steve would make a good replacement for Jeremy Clarkson)

ancientbugger - July 11th, 2008 at 08:13 AM

I remember seeing an engine change (in & out) competition in England in the late 70's at VW Action and a VW mechanic had to check before and after that all pipes (fuel and heaters) were fitted correctly plus everything was as it should be. I recall the best time was around 1m 50s. The clock was stopped on the engine hitting the floor for the out and stopped again for the car passing the line. There was a team of women that wasn't too far behind!

Craig Torrens - July 11th, 2008 at 09:21 AM

So anyone going to Steve muller for a clutch change etc should pay bugger all for labour...........less than a minute to take it out :smilegrin:

decked dubby - July 11th, 2008 at 09:29 AM

That blue suit is amazing stuff!

Mick058 - July 11th, 2008 at 02:35 PM

ha, yep, i need a clutch change...$30 for labor is generous then?