Board Logo

6V wipers, arg
Boozo - July 16th, 2008 at 06:28 PM

Just a quick question. How do i go about slowing down a beetle 6V wiper motor down on a 12v system. My Car has 2 big old resistor, but have no idea how big they are or where they come from. My brother is now going thru the same dramas, cant find the resistors, or anything to suit.
Anyone know of an easy fix? or a better way?
I've been told i can buy an adjustable resistence meter guage thingy from Jaycar.
Or cant he 12v and 6v motors just be swappped over?

any help would be greatly appreciated on a topic that seemed like such a no brainer, lol

:crazy:Boozo

mackaymanx - July 16th, 2008 at 06:45 PM

12 volt armatures are available for the 6 volt motors.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D955%2D811%2DB 

I think the 6v and 12v motors rotate in different directions or some thing making them non-interchangable.
You should be able to find the resistor at one of the specialty vw places

11CAB - July 16th, 2008 at 07:20 PM

Go to somewhere like Repco and get a Ballast Resistor(the big white ones) like the ones that are used for 8V coils.....you will need to run two of these resistors in series. They are about $6 each

68AutoBug - July 16th, 2008 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 11CAB
Go to somewhere like Repco and get a Ballast Resistor(the big white ones) like the ones that are used for 8V coils.....you will need to run two of these resistors in series. They are about $6 each

these are on most old ford falcons etc..

the 12v wiper motors etc have a different setup from 6 volt wipers, also the spacing between the wiper shafts is different and also different sizes...
the 1968 beetle had small spindles 12v 2 speed..
and proper blades..
the motor is attached differently to later 1969> beetles...
and larger spindles...

ballast resisitors are the easiest way..

LEE

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug 

Flintstones - July 16th, 2008 at 08:10 PM

Or get a mitsubishi colt headlight dimmer control.
Wire it up and you can dial the speed from fast to slow depending on how much the rain comes down !!
Worked a treat on my 58 beetle
Cheers

Boozo - July 19th, 2008 at 08:36 AM

Thanxs for the help guys, i was wondering where i found those resistors, and now i know, thanks again :)

im worried about a dimmer switch getting too hot while slowing the wipers down so the ballast resistors seem the way to go