Board Logo

Transmission Rebuild
pogo - February 7th, 2013 at 04:39 PM

Who will do a good job brisbane/north coast? Or.. can you still buy the tools for the job? One guy told me all you need is a good set of long nose pliers and a hydraulic press. I have access to a hydraulic press.

Thanks in advance!

hellbugged - February 7th, 2013 at 09:52 PM

"Dangerous" .... Dave butler

Send him a pm

beetleboyjeff - February 7th, 2013 at 10:02 PM

x 2 for Dave Buttler

Sides - February 8th, 2013 at 07:21 AM

x 3 for DB.. you definitely need a lot more to rebuild a box than a set of long nose pliers and a press.

Do a search on here for posts by Dangerous with the word "rebuild" in them... lots of good info and pics incl examples of what bits wear.

:tu:

matberry - February 8th, 2013 at 07:57 AM

x4 DB

nils - February 8th, 2013 at 02:13 PM

Failing that I have always had good experiance with german auto.

Craig Torrens - February 8th, 2013 at 02:26 PM

I think German Auto built the gearbox in my ragtop..........its been faultless and so far bullet proof ! "Hellbugged" knows how I treat it and was surprised its still alive :tu:

So I'd recommend them too :tu:

hellbugged - February 8th, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Torrens
"Hellbugged" knows how I treat it and was surprised its still alive :tu:

X 1000.......you should be arrested :!:

.......but hey I do the same thing :lol:

matberry - February 9th, 2013 at 08:41 AM

^^:lol: yeah right Daimo, I've only ever seen you drive like a granny. :lol::lol:

I've had a few from German Auto's (years ago) and although they have been mostly very good, I believe the many from DB to be better. Prolly spend more with Dave.

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - February 27th, 2013 at 01:56 PM

More care and super attention to detail with dangerous! You don't just get a rebuild of a 35plus year old gearbox you get a brand new box!! Actually better than new!!

pogo - August 8th, 2013 at 06:39 PM

With regards to this I've made a friend in the states who's cutting me up the trans case jigs for all type 1 and 2 transmissions and shipping them over with an original german tool kit (getting rare). Seams as though there may be another old guy in the works here. No need to worry, I won't be advertising rebuilds or selling "rebuilt trannies" until the jedi have composed me well.. Wish me luck on the path of trans-righteousness.

Craig Torrens - August 8th, 2013 at 10:45 PM

always good to learn new skills :tu: