Board Logo

Power Inlet earth too big?
matberry - August 18th, 2013 at 10:02 PM

You need a 15 amp lead, don't change the inlet socket as some van parks won't allow the smaller 10 amp version.

barls - August 18th, 2013 at 10:02 PM

mate it will be a 15 amp plug try and electrical supply place

pod - August 19th, 2013 at 12:11 AM

you can get 15 amp leads from Supercheap on a reel ,thats where I got mine for my caravan :tu:

68AutoBug - August 19th, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JameSquire
Just a quick question.. the 3rd earth prong in the power inlet on our camper is too large to fit any extension leads we have seen. Does that mean we need to replace the whole inlet, or is there an adaptor or special lead we can use? Ta for any advice you can share.

Hi

as said... its a special plug to make sure You use a 15 amp power plug and lead...

They are sold everywhere..
Bunnings Masters etc would possibly be the cheapest...

Just look for 15 amp power extension lead ...

normal leads are 10 amps.

LEE

JameSquire - August 19th, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Sweet, thanks guys!

grumble - August 19th, 2013 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 68AutoBug
Quote:
Originally posted by JameSquire
Just a quick question.. the 3rd earth prong in the power inlet on our camper is too large to fit any extension leads we have seen. Does that mean we need to replace the whole inlet, or is there an adaptor or special lead we can use? Ta for any advice you can share.

Hi

as said... its a special plug to make sure You use a 15 amp power plug and lead...

They are sold everywhere..
Bunnings Masters etc would possibly be the cheapest...

Just look for 15 amp power extension lead ...

normal leads are 10 amps.

LEE

The cheapest isn't always the best,i have had some of these plugs that when you tighten the screw it strips the thread leaving the wire lose.Get a quality lead or fitting.

helbus - August 19th, 2013 at 09:06 PM

You need specifically a 'CARAVAN' extension lead. All work extension 15A leads that are sold should have a collar on the socket. This is to stop anything dropping between the plug and socket when the lead is being used in a workplace. A caravan lead has no collar on the socket, allowing it to fit the male prong socket on the caravan. You can also cut the collar off a regular work extension lead. Personally I would go to Bunnings, BCF or Anaconda, they would have the correct leads. A brand name lead like HPM have 10metre 15A Caravan extension leads for $20 at Bunnings.

68AutoBug - August 19th, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grumble

The cheapest isn't always the best,i have had some of these plugs that when you tighten the screw it strips the thread leaving the wire lose.Get a quality lead or fitting.

Most are made in China Now.. and are very poor quality..
and you are correct... the cheapest aren't the best...
the ends are usually molded on so You can't do anything to them... I have had a few of them get hot from high resistance in the plug or socket... I have fitted new HPM see thru plugs or sockets to them...
HPM are still the best..

Years ago, extension leads could last forever.. but they were all Aussie made back then.. I have had to replace a few power points at home because of the badly fitting chinese plugs, which are fitted to just about everything...

LEE

68AutoBug - August 19th, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by helbus
You need specifically a 'CARAVAN' extension lead. All work extension 15A leads that are sold should have a collar on the socket. This is to stop anything dropping between the plug and socket when the lead is being used in a workplace. A caravan lead has no collar on the socket, allowing it to fit the male prong socket on the caravan. You can also cut the collar off a regular work extension lead. Personally I would go to Bunnings, BCF or Anaconda, they would have the correct leads. A brand name lead like HPM have 10metre 15A Caravan extension leads for $20 at Bunnings.

Something I didn't know Pete..

and HPM seem like the last of the Aussie brands...
You can still buy HPM power points etc

LEE

Joel - August 20th, 2013 at 07:06 AM

Just don't do the old trick of filing down the earth pin so it fits 10amp leads.
You wouldn't believe how much of that I used to see when I was a refrigeration mechanic.

THe worst I saw was some people in Ballina actually had a 6kw window rattler in their living room with the pin ground down and running off a 4 outlet power board :crazy: