Board Logo

Need some info on '69 panel vans
HendrikO - August 28th, 2013 at 05:05 PM

Hey guys/girls,
Ive gotten myself a double sliding-door '69 panel van and was wondering for the future: What is usually regarded as genuine for them in terms of bumpers, colour/paint, visor, wheel colour and generally just the external look?

Sorry if it seems a bit daft, but the images on google seem to vary alot between each van.

Also, how important are genuine looking wheels? I see alot of them have alloy with no caps on them, do people generally not care about them or am i just seeing bad examples?

binner - August 28th, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Fu$k genuine original, lose your load on it.

Scottkombi - August 28th, 2013 at 09:07 PM

Ooooh...I like the sound of this.

Show us some photos.

Was this the one of Ebay?

Scottkombi - August 28th, 2013 at 09:22 PM

Here is restored panel rear section showing white bumpers, white wheels and grey hubcaps.

Maybe that is the stock look?

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/Syncro27/106_4452_zps66353be8.jpg

MISS VDUB - August 29th, 2013 at 09:31 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but that was what commercial vehicles were supplied with.

HendrikO - August 29th, 2013 at 04:25 PM

Ahaha, that photo helps ALOT Scottkombi, were the hub-caps that sort of grey as well? or were they more of a chrome?

Its not at all restored at the moment, i just wanted to know because I'm starting with the wheel area and want to make sure i get it right :D

I'm wondering whether i should start a thread for the restoration on it so i dont need to keep asking questions in new threads. Is that the sort of thing people do? Would i get the same level of help in a single thread or by asking questions this way?

Also, the kombi i have came with a bullbar, is there any chance that that is original? i have had a breif look and it seems only the later models had them (Mine is a '69)

Scottkombi - August 29th, 2013 at 08:32 PM

HendrickO,

I understand the grey hubcaps were the choice for all commecials as was the white bumpers with splash trays.

Bullbars were definately not factory - just a common after market addition.

Keep asking questions here - after all this is the kombi loving section.

Post up lots of photos - that way we all know what we are taking about in better detail. The photo I put in was of a 1970 model wide 5 so it would be basically the same as yours.

Cheers,

Scott

Big Dave 69 - September 3rd, 2013 at 04:29 PM

Maybe ask some questions of the guys on Kombi Club as well http://forums.kombiclub.com/