Board Logo

Best Bay Kombi to buy.
Jay-Jay - June 20th, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Hi All
Thinking of buying a Bay window kombi to join the Baja in the drive, Just wondering what would be considered the best year and motor size is best. Any ideas? Is :cool: 2 ltr better than 18oo etc looking to spend around $4000. Be very interested to learn what to look for.

cheers

Jay-Jay

Volksaddict - June 20th, 2007 at 07:48 PM

78 or 79 ...unless you can find a good Lowlight 69 to 73 ...lowlights are not as refined as a 78/9 under somewhat under geared/ powered and early ones only had drum brakes with no power servo ...but they are likely to become more valuable ..many say they are the next splity

warb - June 20th, 2007 at 08:10 PM

yup, low light.. early lowlight, upgrade the running gear..

helbus - June 20th, 2007 at 08:50 PM

Personally I prefer 74-76 models

vwtyp2 - June 21st, 2007 at 08:14 AM

'71, for Style.
low light, small tail lights, but you get disc brakes.

77/78 for comfort.
A lot more refined than early models, a lot nicer to drive.

Jay-Jay - June 21st, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Thanks guys for the info so far. Do like the sound of the 71 with disk brakes thats the sort of info i was after..let the search begin. Mind you not a lot of vw action in Karratha which is 1600kms north of Perth, can only educate.

cheers

Jay-Jay

fekkinell - June 21st, 2007 at 08:35 PM

I love my '77... If I had anything that wasn't 2litre, I'd definitely be modifying the engine. Even now just a squidge more power would be nice hehe

:yes:

crewcabconnection - June 21st, 2007 at 08:49 PM

low light - 72 was the best year.

vwtyp2 - June 21st, 2007 at 09:39 PM

'72 has big tail lights though.
as a bonus you do get the wide engine bay though.

crewcabconnection - June 21st, 2007 at 11:30 PM

yep. thats why.

greedy53 - June 24th, 2007 at 08:55 PM

72 oh yea has got it all

warb - June 24th, 2007 at 09:59 PM

'cept a split window! :P

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - June 26th, 2007 at 04:41 PM

75-77 is the pick of the models. Early bays you don't get the niceties interior wise and usually are all 1600's plus things like drum brakes, and all the bits and pieces that are transferred of the last of the Splits. 1800's and 2l are not as common in pre 75's unless someone has done a transplant. Plus later bays all have better access to engine bay as well. Steer clear of 78/79 models as most of them are prone to bad rust due to the paint being thinner because of the Australian build quality. Around gutters,seams etc etc the paint coverage seems to be a lot thinner and therfore surface rust is more prevelant. also they seem to suffer with rust in places like the sills, bottom of front doors and areas where the german built cars have more paint and some form of rust preventative. That's not to say that there are not good ones out there but they certainly are few and far between.

Jay-Jay - June 26th, 2007 at 11:52 PM

Sounds like i need the front of a pre 66 back of a 72 running gear of a 75 and interior of a 78 ANY BODY GOT ONE? Only Joking. Still like the sound of a 71 or 72 as like the older Bays and being used to a 1960 baja mod cons not important. Got a SS Dunny Door for NEED for SPEED and a Jeep for the hell of it plus one very patient understanding wife...( Just in case she reads this thread).

tinman - June 27th, 2007 at 06:59 PM

I've got a 77 and the access inside the engine bay has come in handy more than a few times.
Gotta love those disks brakes, they've come in handy more than a few times. :)

I'd say grab a late bay, around 77 for your first kombi and if you like driving it around you can always move on to low lights or splits later.

4tune8 - July 6th, 2007 at 06:54 PM

gotta go the 72....lowlight looks, later bay gear, ie; disc brakes, but the best of all is the ability to slot a type 4 2litre straight in....no dramas just BANG BANG BANG

type3lover - July 6th, 2007 at 07:09 PM

Are you after a camper or a microbus?

T34chick - July 8th, 2007 at 03:16 PM

there all good

aggri1 - July 8th, 2007 at 08:39 PM

I thought the '72s were the most hated because they were typeIV's with no engine access hatch. I saw one time a 234xxxx (that's 1974 model btw) without an engine access hatch, and a type 1 in it. Weird! That was in Australia.

I reckon either go all out modern and get a FI 2l late model, or keep it simple and get a single-carbied type1 early bay. I've had problems with the '74.

They sure are different to drive, my '69 is quite truck-like compared to the '74.

They're all fun though. A.

OZ Towdster - July 8th, 2007 at 09:31 PM

Jay - Jay how about all those old school buss's in that yard out near the point !!!
Yeh i'vv been there and reckon you'll be hard pressed to get any Kombi in the Pilbara but good luck to you and i'll look you up next time i drop in on my sister.

Jay-Jay - July 10th, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Hi All
Looking for a bus with seat in back that foldes down to bed, Camper would be good, just want something solid and licenced that can be restored whilst being driven occationally on the weekends etc. Where i work we have our own cabnet shop so was going to perhaps refit an old one or design new. Checked out the ones in the yard ages ago and the best have gone. there is a splitty in the yard being used as storeage for old rims and tyres but would take a lot of work to get back on the road.Looking at a long term project not in any hurry.

cheers

Jay - Jay

VWMA Editor - July 10th, 2007 at 01:12 PM

Double Cab, any year!

quazi - September 27th, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I have a 71 Deluxe if you want one!

All the deluxe options.
With early bay styling.

0402255551 Shane

Jay-Jay - October 3rd, 2007 at 01:57 AM

Hi Shane
Kombi plan on Hold as looks as if relocating back to Perth in about 6 weeks. Still trying to convince wife that Baja needs to stay in the family. Might be pushing my luck purchasing a kombi just now as just spent 2K on the :cool:baja, Hey always keen to look. Moving back to Perth is going to make life easier as not many Bugs or Busses up in Sunny Karratha. Will be selling the Jeep and The Boat so when get back to Perth and the dust settles should have some serious dollars free for more toys.....

Saggas - October 20th, 2007 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
75-77 is the pick of the models. Early bays you don't get the niceties interior wise and usually are all 1600's plus things like drum brakes, and all the bits and pieces that are transferred of the last of the Splits. 1800's and 2l are not as common in pre 75's unless someone has done a transplant. Plus later bays all have better access to engine bay as well. Steer clear of 78/79 models as most of them are prone to bad rust due to the paint being thinner because of the Australian build quality. Around gutters,seams etc etc the paint coverage seems to be a lot thinner and therfore surface rust is more prevelant. also they seem to suffer with rust in places like the sills, bottom of front doors and areas where the german built cars have more paint and some form of rust preventative. That's not to say that there are not good ones out there but they certainly are few and far between.

78/79's weren't built in aus..

Schmoburger - November 9th, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
...Steer clear of 78/79 models as most of them are prone to bad rust due to the paint being thinner because of the Australian build quality. Around gutters,seams etc etc the paint coverage seems to be a lot thinner and therfore surface rust is more prevelant. also they seem to suffer with rust in places like the sills, bottom of front doors and areas where the german built cars have more paint and some form of rust preventative. That's not to say that there are not good ones out there but they certainly are few and far between.

The VW plant in Australia stopped making Kombis and Beetles in 1976 and from memory was sold to Datsun or Mazda. 1977-79 buses were manufactured in Germany... much better than Australian built crap. European built buses had the rustproofing treatment and the metal is just better full stop, as is the general fit and finish. :cool:

Biggest ones to watch out for as far as rust and general build quality goes are 75-76 models... especially '76's. They rust as the metal is crap and is not rust-treated like European0built models, the clutch cable tube welds come unstuck, blah blah blah... Nonetheless, I still like '76's for the simple fact they have a 2L motor and gearbox AND factory ambulance fans! :D They stopped putting the fans in after the '76 model...

rocknrob - November 24th, 2007 at 05:30 AM

I have a late 73 camper with virtually no rust. I bought a 77 as a work vehicle(my $700 wheelie bin) and i can't believe the rust in it..i think it was salt dipped before painting...got all the 2litre goodies tho:yes:

Schmoburger - December 1st, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocknrob
I have a late 73 camper with virtually no rust. I bought a 77 as a work vehicle(my $700 wheelie bin) and i can't believe the rust in it..i think it was salt dipped before painting...got all the 2litre goodies tho:yes:

'73 might have been an import... I'd still take an imported '73-'76 over an imported '77-79 if build-quality and rust-resistance was important too me (which it isnt), but a '77 or later will GENERALLY be the better bet as compared to most Ausssie built machines.

That said their are good and bad examples of both and a great deal of it comes down to how it was looked after, where it came from through the course of it's life etc. etc... Any Kombi that's lived outside on the waterfront in Byron Bay for near 30 years is gonna have rust regardless of the anti-rust treatment, and an AUssie '76 living in a a garage in ALice springs will no doubt be spotless.... Hell, I've seen a '78 which had just about no roof under the poptop.:crazy:

rocknrob - December 1st, 2007 at 06:57 AM

and....when i jack my 73 up at the rear jacking point only the rear wheel comes off the ground...when i jack the 77 up both wheels lift off:smirk: so even with the rust its got it is still strong as:tu:

LIFE IN THE LOW LANE - December 26th, 2007 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWMA Editor
Double Cab, any year!

Yup cause they're tough as!!

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/Silvabullit/Johnnysdualcab.jpg

I've got a 76 but mine is a german built job so apart from the normal rust that a 30 year old car gets from sitting in the weather it's pretty damm good!!