Board Logo

Getting Bearings HELP!!!
ananelson - August 14th, 2007 at 08:40 PM

Hi all i've got the front end out of philbert and went to get some new bearings for the front end (torsion bar needle rollers) and cant seem to find where to get them, really need help here. the project has come to a grinding halt. Need to keep it going:)

vw54 - August 15th, 2007 at 06:45 AM

Beetle Kombi or Type 3 ???

ananelson - August 15th, 2007 at 09:12 PM

That was pretty dumb of me its a T2 bus 1974, tried all the local bearing places and they are no help. Also rang a supposed VW expert in cairns and he proceeded to tell me that the bearings that i had in my hands didnt exist!!
So I'm still looking

matberry - August 15th, 2007 at 09:35 PM

Try Vintage Vee Dub Supplies. Sydney.
Hey Dave?

Matt

ananelson - August 16th, 2007 at 10:21 PM

thanks for that i will give them a call first thing in the morning, have been trying heaps of people and still no good,hopefully they will be the ones!!

ananelson - August 21st, 2007 at 08:52 PM

Hi all the search for the bearings has found me some, but a little more that i thought $100/each!!! needless to say i will try my last couple of places. Vintage vee dubb and some others that were put forward had nothing.
What i was thinking is that if someone had a front end lying around and wanted to off load the bearings out of them, let me know it might be the best option.

andy

68AutoBug - August 21st, 2007 at 11:37 PM

I think in the US You can buy solid bushes instead of the bearings...
A lot of VW bearings were specially made..
which makes them hard to find...

I wonder where the people who narrow T2 front ends get the bearings from, or maybe they reuse the old ones.

Keep them greased with lithium based Moly grease and they will last forever..

Lee

ananelson - August 22nd, 2007 at 08:09 AM

unfortunately it doesnt matter how much grease you use if the previous owner let them get dirt and crap in them and they get rusty its all bad. I'm just lucky that the shafts that fun on them arent damaged

MickH - August 22nd, 2007 at 08:37 AM

If you can get new ones for $100 I'd be getting them...as you might have noticed by now,these are VERY hard to get new which is why some places tell you they don't exist..it implies that you can't get them,not that they don't actually exist on the car...:love: