Board Logo

Changing running gear
BrisDubba - August 14th, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Heh yall,

Am comtemplating changing the running gear on the 68 Bay single cab (wide 5) to a 75 bay front beam. I have a complete 75 to use as a donor and wanted the upgraded running gear - discs etc for the SC. I believe that the beams are different sizes but they are supposed to be interchangable.

Has anyone done this swap, anything I should avoid ? Whilst I am swapping the beams I will be putting some adjusters in for lowering.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Ampdub - September 7th, 2007 at 09:51 PM

if you end up doing the swap there would be plenty of interest in your old beam.

paulr - September 11th, 2007 at 07:25 PM

Mate my understanding is that it is pretty straight forward. I just replaced the front beam in my 70 with a later beam - retained the running gear though. If you are using the late brakes you need to change the master cylinder fit the booster and run a vacuum line to your engine and fit a vacuum connector to the inlet side. It is all pretty straight forward as far as i know .
Unless you plan on going fast why not tidy up your brakes and retain the wide 5

Cheers Paul

Kombi_Rescue - September 11th, 2007 at 08:16 PM

the mounting space between both beams are different ,the actual casing around the torsion bar is much more bulbus on a post 69 beam...so the answer is to drop the stub axle assy off the 68 beam and interchange them with that of the 75 model. to retro fit the booster set up is a lot more invovled as the 68 has the mastercylinder mounted differently and the body work from a 75 needs to be grafted on.....easier to run non assist brakes with the original mastercylinder....pedal pressure is better than the drums feedback anyways. The rear only needs wheelcylinders and lining with the drums to be interchanged.....the mount flange for the later cylinders need a slight modification otherwise a direct swap. good luck feel free to call if you feel confused cheers steve 0400356057

TheMiniMan - March 15th, 2008 at 08:19 PM

I used a 68 model front beam assy & swaped the wheels assys (ball jopint to ball jopint) from the later disc type set up onto it

easy-peasy

matberry - March 15th, 2008 at 08:59 PM

Me too MiniMatt
But Steve's in the know with brakes and the like.