Board Logo

DC build
binner - February 3rd, 2012 at 08:55 PM

well, I guess it's time to start a new thread for the next build. This is the keeper and will be given plenty of time for a lot of lovin...:lol:

Just arrived tonite and is resting up .

I'm giddy!!!! :dork:

grinderman - February 3rd, 2012 at 09:13 PM

YES, another dual cab build ! More the better..........so whats planned for this beast?

vassy66T1 - February 4th, 2012 at 07:07 AM

Ian ... you are stark raving mad :tu::tu::tu:

tar76 - February 4th, 2012 at 07:24 AM

'Looking forward to watching this thred :)

binner - February 4th, 2012 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vassy66T1
Ian ... you are stark raving mad :tu::tu::tu:

I know, crazy isn't it!! :lol: .. just went outside with a coffee and looked at it to take it all in, I think I need another coffee.

:crazy:

>EDIT<
I know they are not VW's but here are some of my Uncles projects, he was a former BMW technician and now retired and doing what he really loves..... the van will be mine one day, (I wish) :lol:

enjoy

binner - February 4th, 2012 at 09:42 AM

dream machines

binner - February 4th, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grinderman
YES, another dual cab build ! More the better..........so whats planned for this beast?

I think it will be very similar to my SC build, but Matt has opened up my color scheme eyes a bit and may go with a nice gloss dark grey with some nice matt black rims.

I like the luxury of power windows , central locking and the VS short shifter is soooooo smooth that those items are in the build. I think I'm going to glass up a rooftop console with drop down screen n such for my lil terrors to keep amused on long drives :)
The cabs are so big in these things I need to place some nice vanity lights in the rear somewhere...
I'm sure lots of things will change in the build and this is more of a year long project I think.....

tar76 - February 4th, 2012 at 09:11 PM

I'm excited :D:D!!

Handy - February 5th, 2012 at 06:35 AM

I love the DC, you got a very nice project there, I will follow this tread.
One day I will have my own DC, its a dream. Power windows, new modern interior, subaru engine, air condition, etc..

max autos - February 5th, 2012 at 09:55 PM

allways good to see another DC on the road

TheMiniMan - February 6th, 2012 at 11:51 AM

hee hee,,, yep glad you got a DC Ian,,, we can do Dueling duel-cab shuttles :-)

binner - February 9th, 2012 at 03:36 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ yo matt, have you got an original door panel I could get a template of on your DC, the main one is the crew door and maybe a pic of the interior and how it is arranged...as in door handle position and such............
or maybe i could swing by and check out the crew cab side of things and we could have a nice tall glass of lemonade or water........... :lol:

chhers old man

BrisDubba - February 9th, 2012 at 10:43 PM

If you are chasing a rear door for the DC - am pretty sure that BJ still has one for sale:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=92273&page=1#pid858472 

I havent seen it but from memory he was saying that it was good.

Cheers

Peter

binner - February 10th, 2012 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrisDubba
If you are chasing a rear door for the DC - am pretty sure that BJ still has one for sale:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=92273&page=1#pid858472 

I havent seen it but from memory he was saying that it was good.

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter, thanks for the "heads up" I was more after what they look like finished inside, as in the door card and such.
I was looking for a front drivers door though so will pm BJ about the ones he has for sale....

cheers Ian

BrisDubba - February 10th, 2012 at 08:46 PM

No probs, I will take a photo of mine tomorrow if you like - mine is standard with the basketweave door card.

binner - February 12th, 2012 at 05:43 PM

^^^^^^^^ that would be tops Peter!

just trying to get my head around DC's

BrisDubba - February 22nd, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hadnt forgotten, just misplaced the camera cord to download the photo..

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu28/BrisDubba/IMG_3806.jpg

binner - February 24th, 2012 at 08:58 PM

^^^thanks chief, such a daunting project. single cabs are a lot easier I think.......these Dc's look really big and a lot of body work.

TheMiniMan - February 25th, 2012 at 09:03 AM

Hey ian, sorry i was a bit slow to respond to this, but you`re more than welcome to have a gork & copy templates & such man
anytime, just let me know when you`re ready
my DC is at Ferny hills atm getting a fresh-ish interior make-over so whenever you`re ready young fella :-)

binner - February 26th, 2012 at 05:50 PM

^^^^^^ no worries Matt, and yeah I'll give you a yell when i need to look at how things work in the DC.......

sooooo, finally today I started to do some work, decided it was easier to buy new than to try and knock out the dents and such in the original....
human skin over exoskeleton ..... :lol:

StenGuns - February 26th, 2012 at 05:59 PM

Late Type 2 skin needs a bit of modifying to get the 68-72 Look.... Hope you kept your old front..
Good luck with the build.. I had a 71DC for yonks and it was a top truck

binner - February 26th, 2012 at 06:49 PM

^^^yup kept the old, and yes fitting is a bit of a pain, gotta cut out the indicator locators, gotta plate up the hi indicator holes, I'm not really keen on the VW emblem raised part but mehhh. I got plenty of time on this build so it's going to be a loooong thread :lol:

TheMiniMan - February 26th, 2012 at 08:47 PM

yeah it just don`t look right with that raised bit in the center

tar76 - February 26th, 2012 at 09:14 PM

Long thread, excellent!! I can see a lot of Saturady nights with beer in hand following this build. I'll be your cyber cheer squad :D

binner - February 26th, 2012 at 09:58 PM

just found this site , so cool for referencing http://carblueprints.narod.ru/volkswagen.htm 

BrisDubba - February 27th, 2012 at 03:18 PM

Given that I am at this stage and doing the same thing to my front - more piccies - I am only averaging about an hour a week on mine so you will be ahead of me.

That raised badge section is annoying, but will have to go.

Peter

binner - February 27th, 2012 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BrisDubba
Given that I am at this stage and doing the same thing to my front - more piccies - I am only averaging about an hour a week on mine so you will be ahead of me.

That raised badge section is annoying, but will have to go.

Peter

I am contemplating cutting it out and welding in the original piece from old skin.
Or maybe cut it out and smash in a huge roo shootin spotlight for those pig/roo huntin expeditions
this is my daughter at it......what a girl!!!

binner - February 28th, 2012 at 07:53 AM

did a lot of reading up last nite on these gauges.... http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=59/home...

time to start saving the cash.... :smilegrin:

binner - March 2nd, 2012 at 07:24 PM

Hey MATT (mad matt) .....any chance you can swoon a deal with the girl and grab 2 of those SAAS seats for me at yr special price?.... Decided to go with 2 single seats and a step thru to the rear.

zap zap:tu:

max autos - March 3rd, 2012 at 03:36 PM

good luck with that im sure alll that work will be worth it in the end. great to see another d/cab making it back
was that one Al had for sale ???