Board Logo

Larger volume fuel tank for Gerty
Drewtay13 - July 19th, 2015 at 09:46 PM

Hi all,

Looking to increase the volume of Gerty's (1970 Type 3 square) fuel tank. I have had a look to see if there is an off the shelf upgrade one, but no luck. I was thinking to take the original bottom section (has all the clearances correct) and get a taller top section. I can see I should have around 2-3 inches and I should be able to go wider. Not really fussy about the trunk space as she is a square and there is plenty of room.
Any ideas would be great.

karmann141 - July 20th, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Had a custom alloy tank (foam filled) made for my Bettle in the early 80's. Mainly to add some weight to the front end. Ended up holding 110L giving it a great range.

1303Steve - July 20th, 2015 at 09:26 AM

You could get an extension welded in on the passenger side to hang down where the LHD master cylinder would be. When I used to do lots of trips to Queensland I had 20 litre jerry can mounted on top of my stock tank fed to the motor via an electric 2 way switch

vlad01 - July 22nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM

I would have the top section extended and the sender section lowered to retain the same level reading. So at full, it will stay reading full until below the stock level, rather than going empty and still having say 20L left if the sender was left with the top section as is.

nbturbo - July 23rd, 2015 at 04:02 PM

Don't remember how different the Beetle and Type 3 tanks are.There is a larger Beetle tank available that fits into the standard opening and looks exactly like the OG.It obviously takes up storage space.Think they were a VW option and held 16 gallons.I reckon I saw them on CIP's web site.I remember seeing one in the States when I was at Rod Penrose's friends place.Will see if I can find a link.

vlad01 - August 2nd, 2015 at 10:09 AM

yeah wayyyyy different to beetle.

type 3 are on a whole different level compared to the others.